NAVpilot 711 "fast turn" doesn't execute to port

SVSerenity

My NAVpilot 711 doesn’t execute “fast turn to port.” I get a "rudder angle error."
  • The rudder sensor is correctly positioned (arm facing forward).
  • Slow turn to port, however, works. Rudder angle for both fast and slow turns are the same (100 degrees).
  • Both fast and slow turns to Starboard work without errors.
Being able to execute fast turns allows me to single hand tack our yacht. It's more than an inconvenience this feature stopped working, and only on port tack! Any ideas on how to fix this?

Mark @ SV Serenity

If you hand steer the helm hard over each direction can you account for every single degree without jumps or missing degrees? When you turn hard over port do you feel any sticking or POPs from the steering cylinder? When you use the dodge buttons to drive the rudder hard over to hard over what is the time it takes from one side to the other?

Hi Johnny, thanks for asking the clarifying questions. Below are my answers:
  • If you hand steer the helm hard over each direction can you account for every single degree without jumps or missing degrees? Answer: Slow hand steering shows every degree. Fast hand steering results in “skips” 3-5 degrees.
  • When you turn hard over port do you feel any sticking or POPs from the steering cylinder? Answer: no.
  • When you use the dodge buttons to drive the rudder hard over to hard over what is the time it takes from one side to the other? Hard over left or right 100 degrees: 35-37 seconds.
For the test, I used both engines (we’re a catamaran) running the same rpm downwind (to prevent wind factor). Does this help?

Well the hard to hard over time is awful. When running a pilot you are looking for a 10 second hard over to hard over when driven by the pilot. (normally 7-13 seconds with 10 seconds being ideal) The hydraulic system is wayyyy to slow for a pilot to control the boat properly. I would recommend getting a dealer out to find out why the hydraulics are so slow.

They aren’t hydraulics. I’ve got a rack and pinion driven by motor. The 35-37 seconds include stabilization (within 3 degrees of completion). Most of the turn takes place within 15 seconds. It still begs the question: why does “fast turn” execute only on starboard? And why does “slow turn” execute on both port and starboard?

There is no way that the pilot is passing the dockside rudder test with the hard over time that slow. The installer should have stopped right there and resolved the issue and get that test to pass rather than letting it go. The pilot can't reliability steer the boat and it won't work until they address that issue with the slow steering response.

I think I've confused you, for which I apologize. When you asked how long a turn takes, I literally timed the boat's movement from input to completion of turn. The actual rudder moves 100 degrees between 8-9 seconds. When doing the Air Bleed test, interestingly, I noted the following:
- After initiating, the wheel is at 2 o'clock position (which it thinks is centered). A centered wheel corresponds to 5 degrees Port
- Max Starboard angle is 40 degrees
- Port hits 55 degrees and then I see "*9 degrees" on the display with the port rudder angle indicator flashing.
Could it be an issue with the Rudder Reference Unit (Furuno Model FAP-6112)?

I will repeat the question. I am not talking about turning the boat at all. Just sit at the dock with the engines at idle.
"When you use the dodge buttons to drive the rudder hard over to hard over what is the time it takes from one side to the other?"

7 seconds from center to port and starboard (about 40 degree rudder turn). When holding down the dodge button to port, close to completion of the turn, the NavPilot shows the following error: "RUDDER ANGLE ERROR. PLEASE TURN OFF AND CHECK DRIVE CIRCUIT." It doesn't seem to be a speed of turn issue.

The time needed is from all the way point to all the way starboard to port. Not sure if you are adding the time from center but it seems I am not doing a good job communicating. Given the error I think it is time for you to get your dealer involved.

Back