Navpilot 511 error issues, updating and compatibility

svVia

I am having several issues with my Navpilot511

1) the unit will make a random course change 17 degrees to starboard. It does this once after being placed in Auto mode. No errors given, just an unexpected change in course occurs. Is there a solution?

2) I am I occasionally getting a “disconnect b/c” error. I’ve checked all electrical connections and they seem fine. Is there anything else that may cause this?

3) I’d like to do a software update but I am unsure how and don’t want to screw it up. Are there good instructions for this?

4) I am also curious about upgrading the system without replacing the whole thing. Could I replace the computer and head unit and keep the PG500 and rudder sensor? The drive unit is a Simrad HLD 2000 MK2.

Thanks

1) the unit will make a random course change 17 degrees to starboard. It does this once after being placed in Auto mode. No errors given, just an unexpected change in course occurs. Is there a solution?

Normally if a pilot does this it is the user setup, Heading, or Hydraulics that is a problem. When you are at the boat, check that your heading on the pilot display is the same as your steering compass and your COG on your plotter as your moving. Bad heading would cause what your reporting.

2) I am I occasionally getting a “disconnect b/c” error. I’ve checked all electrical connections and they seem fine. Is there anything else that may cause this?

This is explained on page 6-7 of the operator's manual. This is saying that no current was detected on the bypass/clutch circuit. If your pump is connected by solenoids and using a clutch signal it could be that your Solenoids/Relays are worn out an need replacement.

3) I’d like to do a software update but I am unsure how and don’t want to screw it up. Are there good instructions for this?

There is software and instructions posted on our website under the product page but the Navpilot 500 is not easy to update. Normally I would advise you to have your dealer or the service center update the pilot processor and control head. It isn't as easy to update as the newer pilots today like the NP700 and NP300 series.

4) I am also curious about upgrading the system without replacing the whole thing. Could I replace the computer and head unit and keep the PG500 and rudder sensor? The drive unit is a Simrad HLD 2000 MK2.

You can keep the PG500 and use it on the Navpilot 700 series along with the RRU, if both working well. The NP700 processor, heads, and cable going to the heads are all different from the older NP500 series.

Johnny Electron":2sw7oy3w said:

Normally if a pilot does this it is the user setup, Heading, or Hydraulics that is a problem. When you are at the boat, check that your heading on the pilot display is the same as your steering compass and your COG on your plotter as your moving. Bad heading would cause what your reporting.

The autopilot matches my analogue compass pretty closely. Some days it will be off by 5-10 degrees, other times they match up. Can never tell why there is the occasional difference. The COG is true north on my plotter, but the variation is usually about right for my area (15 degrees). It seems like a software issue to me, because it literally just changes my course heading by 17 degreees. For examples, if I set a course of 10 degrees and hit auto, after a while it will suddenly change to 27 degrees and carry on that new course as if I had changed it. It only ever does this once in a given power cycle, and sometimes doesn’t do it. I see one of the software updates mentions a fix to random course changes, maybe that could solve it?

Thanks!

Thanks!

The disconnect b/c” error might be something that an old version of software had and newer software helped with but the pilot going off 17 degrees is another matter entirely. Newest software is always recommended but if the heading isn't constantly on, it will cause the pilot problems. It is an old pilot but a very good one.

Thanks. Where can I get the updated software? I found the directions on your site but not the software itself.

www.FurunoUSA.com - Search for product "NavPilot 511" in model search box at the right - Select NavPilot 511. When the Navpilot 511 pages comes up, select the "VIEW SUPPORT/TECH INFO" button. The page will change to the support page and you should see the "SOFTWARE" tab of the product. Hit that and you should be taken down the page where the software and instructions are posted. The software history and instructions were open to the public but software required dealer login. As I said before, updating the Navpilot 500 series is not easy and normally considered dealer only update. Because you are determined, I have posted the software public and it should reflect in the next few hours. You must ensure you use the correct software for the hardware you have installed. There are two versions of software for the processor depending on the hardware. If your pilot currently has v3 software, you want the v3 software update. If you have v4 software, you want the v4 software update. Good luck. Doing the update is at your risk and I still highly suggest you have someone qualified update the pilot instead.

Thanks for your help. It looks like my processor has v4 and controller has v3. I’m hopeful that the fix in ver 3.02 which “Eliminates occasional rapid course changes” may help. I understand it’s a bit complicated, but I may be looking at needing to replace the system anyway. I’ll keep an eye out for the software page opening up.

Back