NavPilot 5001 drifts when in Auto

trommer

When operating in Auto, my autopilot has recently begun to drift 5-20 degrees and then slowly try to get back, but never make it. I'm constantly having to adjust for heading drift and compensate in a new dialed in heading. In a strong wind/current, it drifts even more. I never get a return to Standby or any alarm or indication. Thoughts?

It either has a heading problem or a hydraulics problem. What is the source of heading? When is the last time you have compared the reading to the helm compass and COG in all four directions?

It has a Furuno heading sensor. Haven’t checked compass v COG in all 4 directions. Unit was holding dialed heading (+-1-2 degrees) with no problem. Just recently, it has started this up to ~25-30 degree drifting issue. Power steering pump is ops normal and rams aren’t leaking. Manual steering ops normal. No alarm, no switching to standby after departing set heading.

As an example, compass reading 270, AP in standby reading course 270. Select Auto. Set 280. Boat turns and holds 280. Then, slowly starts losing 280. Goes to 268, then works back towards 280. Sometimes gets back and holds before it drifts again. In a strong current and abeam wind, it drifted 40 degrees off of selected course.

As far as an RRU, we are using the AP as rudder reference. The original was disconnected in favor of the Furuno. It is accurate.

Something that big is most likely solenoid drive. This was working fine for a long time and suddenly started or is this an new install of an older used pilot onto the boat?

Worked fine and for unknown reason, is drifting heading. The unit was installed in 2018 and was new. Professionally installed. Made the trip from Vancouver to SF last March with zero issues. Held heading as designed.

If not heading then it is highly possible something has happened to the hydraulics or RRU. Being a boat that size I would recommend running the rudder test in the water with engines at idle to see if the test calls out something. I would also recommend dodging hard over to hard over to find what your hard over time is. (let me know what you find) Most likely is something is pulling on the compass if running a fluxgate. I would recommend a check all four directions to see they are within 2-3 degrees of COG and helm compass.

Unless it gets wet inside, I have never seen a fluxgate go bad. Sometimes people forget toolboxes, steel toe boots, pump motors and motorized fishing reels have metal/magnets. This is exactly why SAT compasses like the SCX20 have become popular. I wouldn't jump the gun until you know it is being pulled or not giving consistently good heading.

Does it make sense to go through a complete setup again? Nothing has changed on the boat. Also, I forgot to mention that the control head will “dim” at times in the upper left corner. The LCD dims and flutters a bit like a bad ground. Not all the time though. The handheld remote doesn’t do it.

Not a complete setup. A compass re-cal might be in order and a Rudder test. I wouldn't recommend a complete reset up of the pilot unless your bored.

Back