Navnet VX2 won't fully boot

Max

After pressing power button, I get the normal two beeps and Furuno splash screen, but after a few seconds of the splash screen, the screen goes black with a blue scrolling bar running across the bottom of screen. Unit fails to boot any further than this. Any thoughts?

Sounds like software corruption but the boot loader is still working fine. I would recommend reprogramming it.

Factory reset and/or a software update MIGHT bring it back to life. The last one I did in the field went on to live a happy life for many more years.
That is commonly caused by improper power down (killing a breaker) or persistent low voltage. Though it could also be a processor failure induced by other factors.
Slight chance it could be the chart card but I doubt it. Remove the chart card and try booting up.

Ok, so I pulled the SD Chart Card and the unit boots normally. I powered down and then re-inserted the chart card and it booted normally. This is a 1944C/NT display unit (purchased in 2007). Could it be related to the transducer swap out I just did. About a week ago, I had my B256 transducer replaced with a brand new B258. The depth sounder has been glitching ever since install. Depth readout sometimes disappearing from bottom right corner, intermittent erroneous readings (eg showing 3,000 feet in 12 feet of water), vertically shifting display of bottom. Is it possible this new transducer is causing a software crash of sorts?

Also, it's running the 4.03 07 software version. I did not notice whether there was an asterisk next to the 7, but I'm assuming not since the unit was purchased years before before 2011.

The transducer should not effect the NavNet display as it connects to the BBFF1 or DFF1.
Do you use auto or manual gain? If manual, you will need to reduce gain with a new transducer.
A 1kW transducer will struggle at time in less than 20 feet. To stop it from searching for the bottom you can set the range to manual.
To help with the depth readout: When on the Sounder page press menu, sounder system setup, then adjust both "Bottom Level HF" and "Bottom Level LF" to somewhere between -20 and -40.

Back