NavNet 2 sounder not reading bottom

A

Anonymous

Is this a settings issue? My unit won't show a consistent bottom. It displays a bottom reading of about 4ft, which is about 1/2 wide on the screen, then it immediately shoots down to about 15 ft and back up to the original bottom reading for 1/2. I did the self diagnostic test and it's communicating with the transducer (airmar M260 In hull) and it tested good.

Bottom Level is set @ -20 for both HF and LF.
I did not get a reading on either manual or auto mode. I have been in depths of 3 to 20 ft.

Next time I launch I will play with the Bottom Level settings. I just learned about these this morning.

Any advice?

Thanks, Greg Sharp

Adjusting the Bottom Level adjustment will not fix the issue you describe.

Have you ensured the in-hull fluid is fully serviced?
Is the area of the hull beneath the transducer clear of any marine growth?
Has this worked in the past or is this a new install?
What is the model of the sounder being used?

I just found out today that the airmar m260 has fluid in it. I will check it tonight.
I have an 1833C as far as I can tell.
I just bought the boat last week and don't know the service history of the transducer. Vessel only has 285 hours and had not been used in about a year.
Area is clean under the hull. No growth.

Thank you for answering. I will post up tomorrow if the tank was low or not.

I was wrong. I have the 1834 VX2 system.

The transducer tank was dry like you mentioned. I filled it and it already made the a difference in appearance on the screen even thought the boat is not in the water. I will monitor the tank for leaks and check it out this weekend.

Thank you for help with this. I have heard Furuno's customer service is second to none and I believe it.

Thanks again!

Transducer worked great and the picture is awesome. Now I just have to learn how to adjust the gain. We were showing schools (dark red density on the screen) of fish and they were bar-jacks. (about 15" fish)

Now on to the next problem: Navionics gold map with Navionics programmed 1834c unit. Map redraw time is ridiculously slow. It was redrawing the map so much that it was tough to navigate. Do I need to have the head unit reprogrammed for C-Map, perform an update. The boat was fished in Mississippi and is now fished in Galveston. Do I need to change any settings for the new area? Thanks again for the help.

Minimum you want to make sure you are running the newest version of Navionics software (4.01) in the Vx2. Next you want to make sure you do not run AUTO CU mode on the plotter because it will cause more screen redraws. Check your chart chip to ensure you are not attempting to use a chip that isn't suitable, like the Navionics Gold 1XG chip. If you check all that; then it sounds like normal for a Navionics unit. The unit can be converted to be a C-map only machine if you are willing to get a new map card and have it converted. The C-map programmed Vx2 units tend to run a bit faster. You might talk to you dealer and compare the charts for your area.

Thanks for the advice. I have Program # 195002304. 01. 06 "Navionics Gold" .. Looks like I need the update for sure!

Looks Like I was wrong.. after doing some reading, I think the version I have is 4.01 I thought it was 1.06.

Please Let me know if I am wrong. Thanks!

I was running in auto CU. Once I got off of that setting, the redraw time was reasonable. What do I need to do to convert my Garmin wpts to Furuno? I have them in an Excell Spreadsheet too if that helps. Thanks.

Back