NAV pilot 300

Jarcoach

I am having some issues with keeping this unit running. Accusteer 11-12 pump, Volvo DPH, TZT2 about one year old. Occasionally I will get a message to the effect it can’t connect with the processor and to check connections and if messages persists contact dealer. Restarting seems to make this go away.
The main problem is that there will be no electricity to the pump at random times.
To verify the pump is not drawing power, I put it into bleed mode and check the amps when I try to move the out drive...when drawing it moves and when it stays at zero it does not move (makes sense just does not make sense why getting no juice).
When it goes off kilter, you can see it trying to steer With red or green arrows it just does not go anywhere and eventually I get the deviation alarm.
I have ...re-wired the processor end and pump end, replaced the NMEA drop cable and T, and have checked all connections.
Sometimes works for an hour perfectly then goes out. I have pulled fuses to system to try and reset power and this has not worked- seems to randomly want to work again

I have also called pump manufacturer and they are stumped as well with such a new pump-
I realize a year is relative to usage so it’s hour count is about 250 tops.
Any suggestions?

What version of software is shown for the control head and the processor when you power up? This almost sounds like a problem we had with older software.

When I start it

Processor. 01.03/01.02
Controller 01.04/01.03

This is what is showing up....is this the correct info you are asking for?

Yes, that is what I was looking for. What country did you buy the pilot? Have you had it a long time before installing? The software is old. I think if you update the pilot; your problem should go away. Current software Processor 1.06 and Control head 1.07 is posted under the Navpilot 300 product pages on our website.

I purchased it from a well known online dealer frequently on hull truth and BD and I installed it the week I received it-I just did the up date and will report when I can get back on the water, hopefully this does the job-thank you for your help!!

Sorry to hear that. If it has been updated and setup then it sounds like the unit has a problem with the drive circuits driving the pump. I would disconnect the pump and ohm the two wires to ensure there isn't a short. I saw one case where the accu-steer pump wires were shorting just inside the case. You might ohm the pump wires and move them around to ensure you don't get a direct short. It should have some resistance shown. If the pump looks good, I would send the processor unit into the service center because I expect it has a problem. Unless your failure/problems have changed since the original post.

Boat is in trailer so no movement to jar something loose nor connect something loose. After sitting off overnight went to AP and turned on and went to air bleed mode- the outdrive went hard over both directions- the only strange part, which I tried to capture on video, is that during the turn the amps dropped to zero briefly. When I got the iPad to capture video it no longer would turn. I let it sit overnight and turned on. I did capture on video (but video not allowed to upload is the message I am getting) the movement w brief drop to zero amps. After hard over both directions it again would not move in either direction- will try to upload a couple of pics instead of video- pics not the greatest due to file size limitations but these 2 boil it all down- with amps up the outdrive is moving
The outdrive is in the middle of moving in the pic w 0 amps, that was captured out of the middle of the video and that is what it looks like after it has worked for a bit then won’t turn outdrive- you see the red or green arrow, no amps, no movement.
Multimeter on pump leads show the same as they do on 2 working bilge pumps
Johnny- based on your previous post it seems I should pull processor and send in but want to confirm....

Attachments

• 8D70AF02-8BAF-4E86-929D-43E754B4AFA0.png
    8D70AF02-8BAF-4E86-929D-43E754B4AFA0.png
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,628
The other pic, showing middle of movement and what it looks like when it stops working

Attachments

• CD0C6966-217C-47DE-B6E3-14A3CD0718A9.jpeg
    CD0C6966-217C-47DE-B6E3-14A3CD0718A9.jpeg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,624
You have to be careful not to hold the dodge button once it hits the stop. You are running the largest sized pump supported by the pilot so your amps are at the upper edge of allowed pump size. If you hold while it hits the stop, the strain of the motor will most likely trigger the protection circuits in the pilot and it will shutdown the power out to the pump and error out. Once the protection kills the pump power, it normally requires power off an breaker cycle to return it to operations. Too many amps and draw will burn out the FETs in the pilot processor. At this stage, your might be fine. I would setup the pilot and make sure you stop just short of the stops during the setup. You MUST do the setup in the water (so you have normal drag). Once the setup is done, I would run it to see how it goes.

So...tied off at ramp and fired up the autopilot - got the “communication error with the processor unit. Check connections. Contact your local dealer if the problem recurs”
I have seen this a handful of times and restarting makes it go away which it did again. Went thru manual and all of the set up parameters were saved. The menu had rudder test as completed. I entered that mode anyway and centered the outdrive with helm wheel and went thru the process and got zero movement. Went to air bleed and got zero amps and zero movement. Any other suggestions? I appreciate the feedback and help a sincere thank you!

Any prior setup and rudder test would be considered invalid, although it say complete. Once the overload circuit is tripped you must reset it by fully removing power. Don't try to use the pilot until fully redoing the dockside setup without hitting the stops and fully running the rudder test. Then give it a try and see. If it still has problems it would need to come in to service for evaluation.

Probably should add that the main breaker to boat was turned off, fuse pulled, on button pressed, before restoring power and going thru set up on previous post Installation never came up...
Left power off overnight...and it went to installation mode. Spirits up I go thru chapter 3 of install....get to Rudder test and it won’t move...go back to air bleeding and nothing there either.

Sounds like the processor has an issue where the FETs got damaged. I would send it into the service center and they will get you fixed up. I don't think you will gain anymore ground as it is now, unfortunately.

Final resolution- internal pump short, replaced under warranty. I enjoyed hands free steering to and from fishing grounds on Saturday. Thanks to all in customer service/ tech support both here and on the phone. Very much appreciated!!

Back