Multiple transducers with the 588

robarrington

The 588 only works with 1 transducer right? So if I wanted to somehow make this work, is my only option to run cables from both transducers to the back of the unit and then plug in the one I want to see???

robarrington,

Yes, the FCV588 is a single transmission line fish finder and it only has one 10-Pin Connector for use with one single transducer connection.

If you want to switch between different transducers, then you would have run each transducer cable up to your FCV588 and connect to that transducer that you would want to use.

- Deep Blue ;)

A friend of mine made his own switch for this purpose a few years ago. I think he found one with enough wire ports from an electronics supply shop. It worked but the problem is that the switch can introduce noise and he had to do various things to improve the shielding. Also you shouldn't switch transducers with the sounder operating.

I am sure if you ask Airmar or Furuno, they would tell you not to use a switch. If you have good access to the back of your FVC588, just plug in the one you want as you said.

Quitsa,

Thanks for sharing your comments, and you are absolutely correct about potential issues with using a switch box including transducer noise. The safest best is just connecting what transducer that you want to use and then be sure to select that transducer in the FCV588's transducer menu settings.

- Deep Blue ;)

Back