MSTZ & Furuno instruments

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertC

Is it true that MSTZ cannot calibrate boatspeed, STW, in the same way that my MFD8 can?
This is throwing out the calculations in the Navigation pane. ETA etc.

RobertC,
I understand you would like to have a calibration/offset adjustment screen for MaxSea TZ, like that offered by the MFD8. I will pass that request on to MaxSea software development folks. I understand how not having the two systems match could be frustrating. Thanks for the input.
Johnny

Thanks for a quick response.
I hope you have more luck than me. Maxsea have had this for over a year. It seems pretty fundamental for software which has racing aspirations.
I am no NMEA2000 expert. Is all the STW data transmitted on the bus uncalibrated? Is there any workaround? Can the MFD output calibrated STW, for instance?
Is this an issue just with Furuno instrument systems and MSTZ?
Robert

RobertC,
Each device is different but normally if it is the source device for the data, say a heading compass for example, the correction is applied across the board and the data is corrected and sent out with the correction in place. In other cases the correction offset is just for that screen/unit's display purposes and if the data is output/repeated from that device it will be original uncorrected value. (Generally because it wasn't the original source of the data) Normally if you want a correction across the board, you do a correction at the original data source device that begins the data chain. I have passed your comments on to the MaxSea development department concerning an offset screen and if they provide feedback, I will post it.
Johnny

Thanks for that detailed explanation, Johnny.
That's all pretty clear then. All the boatspeed based info in the MSTZ navigation window such as STW, ETA, CTS, TWS, plus live polar, is way off if you need a calibration factor. (And who doesn't?)
Robert

RobertC,
MaxSea has told me, that there are plans to add a calibration for STW but not in the immedate future. The next version of MaxSea will use COG (instead of STW) for route calculations so the need of calibrating STW will not be as critical. You can expect more tweaks and advancements to TZ as it moves forward. Thanks for your input.
Johnny

Thanks yet again Johnny.
That's that then.
But is there any way the MFD or FI50 can output calibrated speed onto the NMEA2000 bus?
Robert

RobertC,
The FI50 series units will pass a STW correction/calibration to the other FI50 units in your network. The NN3D calibration will provide corrections/adjustments for the NN3D MFDs. Nothing is going to pull existing data from the NMEA 2000 network, correct it and re-transmit. MaxSea currently has no correction for STW but has it planned, as we discussed prior. As you can tell with our other discussions, MaxSea is always advancing and enhancing the software so I am sure with time, it will resolve itself.
Johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back