MFD12 slow response

Wdeertz

I have a Nav Net 3D MFDBB in my pilothouse and despite being almost 10 years old the system is fairly responsive with zooming, drawing the screen, accessing menus, etc. On my flybridge I have the same vintage MFD12 (connected as slave to MFDBB) which is really slow for menu access, cursor movement, menus, screen redraws, ext. I would think two similar vintage devices would perform similarly. Is the MFDBB hardware (cpu and memory) so superior to the MFD12 to account for this performance difference or are there setting changes I can make to improve the MFD12 performance?

Second question, if I swapped out the MFD12 with a TZT12F would it be able to share the unlock chart codes from the MFDBB? DFF1 viewable on the TZT12F?

Thanks

The only real hardware change to the MFD12 over its production was the change of a 40GB hard drive in the early MFD12s to 80GB starting sometime in 2011, otherwise your two units should be the same. The MFDBB has a lot more horsepower than the MFD8 or MFD12. There isn't anything you can do to speed up either unit other than run the most current software and optimize all the settings to have good data flow. Data loops and other problems can slow a system down. While there is a solid state drive option for the MFD12, it won't change the operational speed. The OS is already running from CFast memory that is solid state. The hard drive stores the charts and settings will not change anything much in the way of operational speed. You can not mix the NN3D with TZT3 on the same network. The only mix option allowed with NN3D is the TZT series one units, when properly interfaced. If you have MaxSea/TimeZero software due to the chart licencing agreements you might be able to take your charts over to a newer system. You might give tech support a call and discuss possible upgrade options based on your specific case.

Johnny, thanks for the info. I did see the FAQ stating the MFDBB wasn’t compatible with the TZT2 but couldn’t find anything on the TZT3, I should have figured the newer version was also not compatible.

If I were to use a TZT3 on the flybridge as a master with it’s only connection being the N2K backbone that is also used by the MFDBB could these two units coexist? Being I only use the flybridge 20% of the time during fair weather I could rely on the included NOAA charts so sharing unlock codes wouldn’t be an issue. Also all my sensors feed into the N2K backbone other than the DFF1 fish finder so I would think this setup would work. I suppose I would need to ensure both devices are not sending conflicting information onto the network such as each device with a different route engaged.

In this situation would this setup work?

If I were to use a TZT3 on the flybridge as a master with it’s only connection being the N2K backbone that is also used by the MFDBB could these two units coexist?
Yes but normally in this case you would change the TZT3 instance number to 1 so it doesn't conflict with the MFDBB (0).
I suppose I would need to ensure both devices are not sending conflicting information onto the network such as each device with a different route engaged.

In this situation would this setup work?

Yes it should work fine. They won't share items other than NMEA 2000 data as you know. It won't matter if one has a route because they are independant and won't be in sync. If you have pilot, you would choose which to Navigate from in your source selection.

Johnny, thanks for the info. I recently added a multiplexer to my system so I can get my FA150 AIS targets onto the N2K backbone. After adding the multiplexer I wasn't getting any targets on my MFDBB but figured out by searching the forum the MFDBB doesn't support AIS via N2K so I went back to nmea183 input.

if I swap out the MFD12 with the TZT12F will this new unit be able to receive AIS targets via the N2K backbone?

Yes, TZT/TZT2/TZT3 can all accept AIS by 2000. The older NN3D can only process AIS by Furuno network (w/Furuno network AIS) or via NMEA 0183.

Johnny, as always thank you, your insights are most helpful. I’m placing my order with my dealer for the TZT12F.

Back