MFD12 flakey screen and GPS/heading

mullerb

Just bought a sailboat with an old NavNet3D set up with an MFD12 below, MFD8 at the helm using an NMEA2000 network for most things. Other than the AIS, which is connected to the MFD8, all instruments connect to the MFD12, which is set up as the master. The setup includes a DRS radar, BBWX2, GPS100, SSC200 compass, DST100 and a MS700 (can't figure out what that is??).

I'm having two issues:

1. The MFD12 boots up with a bright and shiny screen but once the chart view loads, it gets very muted, almost impossible to use (screen brightness is all the way up but the view is muted). This muted effect sometimes goes away and all is bright and good but sometimes returns. I can't see a setting or pattern to figure out why it mutes.

2. The connection to GPS and heading can sometimes take 15-20 min to lock in. Once connected, they seem fine but I can't figure out why it takes so long. I've tried different sequences of turning the power on to the various instrument circuits before powering up the MFDs but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Any insights are appreciated!

Separate but related question: can I swap out these MFDs with newer TZTouch MFDs? What are the biggest configuration challenges in doing a swap? I would also consider getting rid of the MFD below and just have the one unit at the helm.

MS700 (can't figure out what that is??)
Fusion Radio

1. The MFD12 boots up with a bright and shiny screen but once the chart view loads, it gets very muted, almost impossible to use (screen brightness is all the way up but the view is muted). This muted effect sometimes goes away and all is bright and good but sometimes returns. I can't see a setting or pattern to figure out why it mutes.

Sounds like it is setup for Twilight or Auto Dimming. I recommend setting it to DAY MODE.

2. The connection to GPS and heading can sometimes take 15-20 min to lock in. Once connected, they seem fine but I can't figure out why it takes so long. I've tried different sequences of turning the power on to the various instrument circuits before powering up the MFDs but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

It sounds like someone has connected both units up to the same 2000 bus (not allowed on NN3D) or the setup GLOBAL DATA sources are not setup to the proper sources in the wizard, or the sensors have weak sensitivity due to being blasted by RF for something mounted near them on the boat.

Separate but related question: can I swap out these MFDs with newer TZTouch MFDs? What are the biggest configuration challenges in doing a swap? I would also consider getting rid of the MFD below and just have the one unit at the helm.

Normally update of MFDs to newer series goes pretty well. The radar might need a power supply added as the MFDs (which might be powering the radar) are removed. I would normally recommend you discuss the system with your dealer and tech support prior but it seems everything you have should move forward just fine.

Thanks for the response! Much appreciated.
I'll see if I can find the screen setting for DAY MODE...

In regards to the bus configuration, attached is the Device List from the MFD12. On the MFD8, it shows the same thing set up, with all but the AIS connected to the MFD12. Am I missing something? I have noted that if the MFD12 reboots (it sometimes randomly reboots), the MFD8 loses position and heading info. Any ideas?

Attachments

• mfd12_ports.jpeg
    mfd12_ports.jpeg
    783.7 KB · Views: 968
It sounds like you have an instance conflict on the 2000 bus causing the machine to reboot in hopes of fixing (which it can't). For example you have two triton displays, they should NOT be on the same instance numbers under NMEA 2000 protocol.

Ok, I just noted that the GPS100 sometimes drops off the Configuration Diagram. Must have faulty wiring or a failing unit.

Meanwhile, there are two other GPS units that I should be able to use as a source? The AIS is an XB8000 in working order with its own GPS and connected via NMEAA0183 and visible on the MFDs. The AC42 Autopilot also has a connected GPS. I tried setting the autopilot as a Position source under the Wizard Global settings but no luck. The AIS is already used under Global for AIS and is not available as a choice for Position. Any advice is appreciated.

The system must see the GPS data for it to be selectable as a source. For the Autopilot, you might try to ensure the PGN is turned ON to go out. Any 0183 sources wired must have the configuration done correctly in the wizard. "Position" should be checked on the INPUT for the port the 0183 GPS position is wired into. Once checked, then it should be a selectable in the GLOBAL data source pull down selection. If you have several GPS sources on 2000, then regardless of brand or device, each must be on a diffrent instance number.

Thanks. I was able to use the AIS’ GPS data on Port 2 of the MFD8. Took a bit of googling to figure out what ‘output sentences’ to use bit it seems to work.

mullerb":pedpjmvl said:
Took a bit of googling to figure out what ‘output sentences’ to use bit it seems to work.

The National Marine Electronics Association responsible for maintaining the standard is real good about publishing all information about NMEA0183 and NMEA2000 sentences and PGNs. If you ever run into needing to know this type of information, NMEA.org is the best resource.

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Back