MDF12 to laptop connection

jonathanovision

Hi,

First time post and I'm hoping I could get some direction.

The boat has a MFD12 that has the IP network and the NMEA 2000 network attached.
I've been told that we can log onto the MFD12 via a laptop to setup the system quicker (vs using the knobs and buttons etc on the display).

The end goal is to be able to access all the data, and make changes to the settings via a computer. Apparently Furuno has been on board this boat and they've been able to do something of the sorts. As well, the boats owner (my boss), has worked over the phone with furuno to do setups with his laptop.
So far I'll I've been able to do, is log onto the FD-50 at 172.31.24.3

Seems like furno hardcodes the IP addresses in for some of their equipment, and some like the DFF3 is via switches, and then for the MFD12, I can't find any mention regarding its IP address.

I've attached the network diagram.

Thanks

Jonathan

Attachments

• Boat network.pdf
    400.2 KB · Views: 37
The FA50 has embedded HTML and it can be configured by a PC. The MFD12 does not and can not. What is the end goal you are currently working towards? Are you trying to update the FA50 software?

My understanding is that the MFD12 is the bridge (it has to be since it is the only device that is plugged into both the NEMA2000 network and the IP network) between the two networks. I guess it is a pain to setup which data goes where via the touch screen and we wanted to do that via a computer which would hopefully be faster. Telling the devices which GPS to use, which heading to use etc....

Hope that makes sense.

No PC setup of the MFD12. That must be done directly on the MFD with exception if you back up the configuration and building a boat just like it, one could just restore a user backup to configure the settings.

jonathanovision":x1jwb5lw said:
My understanding is that the MFD12 is the bridge (it has to be since it is the only device that is plugged into both the NEMA2000 network and the IP network) between the two networks. I guess it is a pain to setup which data goes where via the touch screen and we wanted to do that via a computer which would hopefully be faster. Telling the devices which GPS to use, which heading to use etc....

Hope that makes sense.

Seems to me you're thinking about Nobeltech's Software Timezero Professional v.3 which could do similar things like what you're suggesting. You might check in with them to see what supported features their PC software can perform, which may be inline with your objectives.

Just thinking, :think

- Maggy

Back