Lost my Points and Routes when I tried to add some Points

A

Anonymous

I purchased some navigation notes for our cruise and it contained points in a digital format. When I chose the "Imported Points and Routes" file option I Imported the new Points but I lost all the Points and Routes I previously had in my MFD12. The name of the function should be changed to "Replace all Points and Routes".

How do I add points from another Furuno system with losing my existing points and routes?

I also find this behavior extremely frustrating. There doesn't appear to be any way to ADD routes or points to NN3D from an SD card - only wipe out everything you already have and replace it with whatever is on the imported file.

My work-around is to export the existing NN3D routes to a file, import that file into a program that converts data formats, convert the data to my routing software format, add the routes I want, convert back to Furuno format and reimport the whole shebang back into the NN3D. It would be so much easier and user-friendly to just be able to ADD the routes and waypoints.

A big pain, and I am surprised that Furuno engineers think this is acceptable behavior, or that Furuno marketing thinks it will drive everyone to purchasing Maxsea for their computers and setting them up in a NN3D network.

This and Furuno's insistence on not supporting AIS over N2K are my biggest gripes with Furuno.

Mark

JacketsII
The NN3D does not merge points when files are imported. This was the same with NavNet 1 and NavNet Vx2. Besides software packages like MaxSea, that do allow merging, dealing with the NN3D CSV files are not as difficult as one might think. You can backup many files on one SD card. You could back up the existing points before importing the new ones. When done, you can bring back your original points. Ideally, you would keep a master set of points, and save them. Let’s say you wish to have your Fishing points and Nav points separate. Just back up your Master (everything) set, then delete the Fishing points and save a backup of the remaining points as “NAV POINTS”. Then restore you master backup, delete the Nav points and save a file called “FISHING POINTS”. Now you have three files…Everything, Nav & Fishing. You can also use the grouping functions for points to display and sort your points separately.

Now you might say… “But Johnny that isn’t merging. I have taken my buddy’s fishing points from his NN3D and I want to merge them with mine.” AGREED! You might not have MaxSea TZ or other package to merge points, but most people do have Microsoft Excel. CSV files can be opened and edited in Excel. You can cut and paste the fields or edit them manually then take the file back to the NN3D.

(To everyone) We are here to try to assist and it would be nice if the tone on the forum remain friendly. I understand you might not like an answer we provide but we have useful information to offer. Most people appreciate it. There are plenty of places to vent on the web, but I would prefer to keep this a productive place where people can get answers.

Johnny Electron":2z5w6bwe said:
(To everyone) We are here to try to assist and it would be nice if the tone on the forum remain friendly. I understand you might not like an answer we provide but we have useful information to offer. Most people appreciate it. There are plenty of places to vent on the web, but I would prefer to keep this a productive place where people can get answers.

Agreed :respect

Back