Issues with FA150 AIS (and software update)

Markdt

I have an FA150 (vintage about 2009). It's working fine, but I've read about some software updates. To the best of my knowledge, this unit has never been updated. Can you tell me how to locate the software version in my FA150 and what the most current version is?

My only reason for considering an update is that I have a really strange issue with being able to "see" one particular Class-B AIS transponder on a friend's boat. He has a quite new Garmin Class-B transponder and his transponder only shows up very occasionally on my FA150. I can see many other Class-B transponders and his transponder shows up on other nearby vessels (and on MarineTraffic). It will *occasionally* show up for 10-30 seconds, and then disappear again.

I see lots of other Class B and Class A transponders and at considerably longer range than my friend's vessel, which is often within about 0.5 miles. I have no other indication that there are any issues with my transponder, but I am puzzled by the issues with receiving this specific transponder. I'm wondering if there are other (Garmin?) class-b Transponders that I can't see as well.

Mark

I have an FA150 (vintage about 2009). It's working fine, but I've read about some software updates. To the best of my knowledge, this unit has never been updated. Can you tell me how to locate the software version in my FA150 and what the most current version is?

My only reason for considering an update is that I have a really strange issue with being able to "see" one particular Class-B AIS transponder on a friend's boat. He has a quite new Garmin Class-B transponder and his transponder only shows up very occasionally on my FA150. I can see many other Class-B transponders and his transponder shows up on other nearby vessels (and on MarineTraffic). It will *occasionally* show up for 10-30 seconds, and then disappear again.

I see lots of other Class B and Class A transponders and at considerably longer range than my friend's vessel, which is often within about 0.5 miles. I have no other indication that there are any issues with my transponder, but I am puzzled by the issues with receiving this specific transponder. I'm wondering if there are other (Garmin?) class-b Transponders that I can't see as well.

Mark
For commercial products like the FA150 please contact deep sea technical support at 360-834-9300 or 410-479-4420

Back