Is PBG OR Simrad the answer to Furuno’s charts in my area

A

allrelative

Furuno’s charts in my area (Gloucester, Jefferies/SW) are sub industry standard when compared to Navionics and CMOR. I have tried to use the apps on an iPad, but that is hard to see in daylight and not a good long-term solution.
My 1st thought was to add the DFF3D / 165T-B54 combo, then I would have PBG for my bathymetric charts. The other option is to pick up a Nss12 Evo3S and use that for the charts, the TZT3 for Sounder, radar. The TZT3 and 175HW is an amazing combination, so not like I need to the DFF3D.
TZT3 is excellent, fast and easy user experience, NXT Radar, SCX20 and Navpilot 300 – great combo, just the Charts in my area are the TZT3’s Achilles heel. Wish Furuno had an answer for something and easy as CHARTS.

I agree. I currently have the Navionics (no longer available) charts along with the CMOR "fishing charts" for my region. This is the only thing that I do not like about the TZT lineup is their charts. I do have the DFF3D and am consistently drawing the bottom for where I have been fishing, however, I am not setting any speed records for getting personal bathymetry maps drawn on my charts. Definitely have the main entrance to my harbor covered though. The average depth of the areas that I am running is 30-40 feet which means I am mapping around 60-80 feet at a time here in the Chesapeake. At $5.50/gallon I can tell you I am not going to go out just to draw bathymetry maps that other companies have down a pretty good job with just to get an idea of what the bottom really looks like.

Side note, the PGB layer is on the same layer as the satellite overlay imagery and ends up darkening all of the charts wherever there are no PBG marks.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13653

This is the best alternative that I have seen to date to get better-represented charts on these displays but is definitely a "techy" alternative that is probably not appealing to everyone.

All that to say, I know that Furuno can do better with their charts also, and am not really sure why they accept the horrible mm3d conversion format that does not capture all of the bathymetry lines that are on the original charts.

What model tzt3 do you have? if you have a 16 or 19 you can run navioncs apps on it instead of a pad/tablet

Around Jefferies, your Simrad is showing NOAA survey data which is public data that not everyone has yet compiled to work with their plotters. Probably same deal around the harbor but I have not checked. Publicly available data is described here. It is raw data and not a chart product... https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/maps/bathymetry/

You can survey it with DFF3D/PBG where you fish with the TZT3.
You can use a plotter that has that data.
A PC running Time Zero Professional with PBG can also show that NOAA survey data and work well with the rest of your excellent Furuno gear. Optionally it could also work with DFF3D if you want extra features.

Back