Integration with NAVpilot 511

sheakx

Furuno Super Fan
1) Can the TZtouch be integrated with the NAVpilot 511 since the 511 is not CANBUS compatible?

2) Can the PG500R be successfully (no regrets) used for the heading sensor for the radar overlay to the chartplotter?

3) If the IF-NMEA2K2 is required for the pilot and heading sensor, is 1 enough or are 2 required for above (can compass readings for radar overlay come from the NAVpilot)? What is the list price for the IF-NMEA2K2?

4) Any concerns with using a 3rd party AIS?

5) It looks as though a power supply is required for all radars on the TZ. Is this true?

I purchased the 511 in anticipation of moving to the 3D product but it works too well to justify replacing at this time and the TZ has the functions that I really have been waiting for. I hope this isn't too many questions.

Thanks...

sheakx
Welcome to the Furuno Forum! :cool
I will do my best to address all your questions.

1) Can the TZtouch be integrated with the NAVpilot 511 since the 511 is not CANBUS compatible?
Since the NavPilot is NMEA 0183 and the NavNet TZtouch is NMEA 2000 you will need to bridge the data with another device, but they will work together after doing so. Bridging options can be as simple as a suitable NMEA 0183/CAN bus (NMEA 2000) converter or using an existing NavNet 3D system to bridge the data over the network/CAN bus.

2) Can the PG500R be successfully (no regrets) used for the heading sensor for the radar overlay to the chart plotter?
Yes, but you will have to again bridge the two standards when making the connection.

3) If the IF-NMEA2K2 is required for the pilot and heading sensor, is 1 enough or are 2 required for above (can compass readings for radar overlay come from the NavPilot)? What is the list price for the IF-NMEA2K2?
One suitable bidirectional interface would be enough. (Like the IF-NMMEA2K2 - $195 list) Of course you need to build a backbone or mini-backbone to connect your interface with your NavNet TZtouch. I would normally recommend the FI-5002 junction box/mini backbone -$175list for this. The FI-5002 will act as your backbone including the required network power. It would allow you expansion/flexibility to add other NMEA2000/Furuno CAN bus items later to this same backbone/network.
4) Any concerns with using a 3rd party AIS?

None that I am aware of at this point in time. (as long as the unit meets NMEA standards) It is still a bit early in the process to know everything that might be encountered but it should be no problem.

5) It looks as though a power supply is required for all radars on the TZ. Is this true?
Yes, that is true unless the NavNet TZtouch is networked with a suitable NavNet 3D MFD that can provide the power to the radar. This was a design change to allow for redundancy. The TZtouch system is a “master-less” system so if one MFD unit goes down it has no effect on your radar and other network devices. In case of the NavNet 3D mixed system, if the MFD powering the radar goes down, so does the radar.

You are totally correct the NavPilot 500 is a very good system and there would be no reason to replace it with the newer NavPilot 700. I appreciate your questions and hope you enjoy the new Furuno Forum.

I purchased the IF-NMMEA2K2 based on this post and the compass mode for auto pilot works correctly but Nav mode does not work. Looks like there have been other posts which outline this problem also. Is there an update yet that fixes this? What is the process that I need to follow to correct this problem?

Thanks,

At this point, it was found that the IF-NMEA2k2 will not work with the Furuno NavPilot. If you have already installed it, some customers have found that naming the waypoints will allow the pilot to work with the interface. (make sure you have the correct PGNs turned on from your TZT) I would recommend using the interface for something else (like AIS or VHF) and get an actisense to interface for the pilot. If you would rather; your authorized dealer can return the device to Furuno for refund. Furuno Japan is working on a software update for the interface but it isn't currently available.

I see there is now a Version v1.03 Software for the IF-NMEA2K2 which solves the problem with The NAVPilot 500 series. Is there a way I can update this unit or do I need to send it in for update. I didn't see a download option or install instructions.

I was going to pull my units out to send in for update since I'm going to be out for winter storage. I see now that there is a download available and instructions for updating the software on the IF-NMEA2K2. Any reason why I shouldn't just do this myself. Looks pretty straight forward.

Anytime you flash firmware, you risk turning the unit into a toaster. It is best to take advantage of the free factory update but if you have the skills and which to conduct it yourself, the software is out there.

Got an upgraded unit back from Furuno Service and it now works perfectly in Nav mode. Thanks! :jump

As of 3/2014, what is the status of easy integration and communication between the TZ14 Touch and the Furuno Navpilot 511 autopilot?
Has there been a fix or software update?

I am currently using a VX2 talking to the Navpilot. I am planning on upgrading to the TZ Touch but really do not want to replace the 511.

Any insight would be appreciated

Software changes to the If-NMEA2K2 has resolved the items discussed in this thread. The Navpilot 500 series works fine with the TZT or other NMEA 2000 plotters using a NMEA 2000 bus with the IF-NMEA2K2.

I agree. I have that combination installed and it works very well. As an afterthought, I used a second NMEA2K2 to connect the compass directly to the NMEA2000 network using the second output port along with wiring 12V to the compass independant of the auto pilot so I don't have to turn on the autopilot to get heading info on the TZT14. This is not necessary, just convenient.

Jim,

If you are interested in how this was put together, I attached a network diagram in the Boating Photos section of this forum (Attachment link is just below the photos).

Back