IF-NMEA2K2 wiring question

kiwihodge

Hi,

I would like to run a FCV-628 along side a GP1870 I am trying to connect Via a IF-NMEA2K2 to get them to talk to each other. @Johnny Electron Could someone more knowledgeable on wiring take a look below and give me some guidance please.

IF-NMEA2K2
PORT 1 ORNAGE HIGH SPEED? (Not sure)
PORT 2 PURPLE AIS? (Not sure)
GROUND BLACK? (Not sure)
PINK TRANSFER DATA A TO RECIEVE DATA A YELLOW
PINK/BLACK TRANSFER DATA B TO RECIEVE DATA B GREEN
BLUE/GREEN RECIEVE DATA C TO TRANSFER DATA B BLUE
BLUE/YELLOW RECIEVE DATA H TO TRANSFER DATA A WHITE
SD RED TO POSITIVE +? (Not sure)
RD BROWN TO POSITIVE +? (Not sure)
SG GREY TO NEGATIVE -? (Not sure)
DRAIN GROUND

FCV-628
TRANSFER DATA A WHITE TO RECIEVE DATA BLUE YELLOW
TRANSFER DATA B BLUE TO RECIEVE DATA BLUE GREEN
RECIEVE DATA A YELLOW TO TRANSFER DATA PINK
RECIEVE DATA B GREEN TO TRANSFER DATA PINK/BLACK
12V POSITIVE + BROWN
12V NEGATIVE – BLACK
SHEILD GROUND

Also will this work directly mated to NMEA or will I need a powered backbone?
FCV-628 NMEA1083 Via IF-NMEA2K2 to a NMEA2000 GP-1870

Thanks in advance for any help, Kiwi

Last edited:
All NMEA 2000 items require a backbone to work off of. A powered backbone is needed. To prevent inadvertent direct connection all units have male connections that won't fit together. The females are on the tees of the backbone.

The GP1870F connection is a simple drop cable to the bus. The IF-NMEA2k2 will be on another drop on the bus and the 0183 side would wire up to the FCV628. What are your expectations of this interface?

To wire the FCV628 to the IF-NMEA2k2 bi-directional it would wire up like this....

FCV628 Power/Data cable----------IF-NMEA2K2 converter

White (+ NMEA OUT)--------------Light Blue/Yellow (NMEA + Input)
Blue (- NMEA OUT)----------------Light Blue/Green (NMEA - Input)
Yellow (+ NMEA IN) ---------------Pink (NMEA + Output)
Green (- NMEA in)-----------------Pink/Black (NMEA - Output)

The other wires of the 2k2 are not used. The ORG/PPL/BLK that are wired together stay just as they are (wired together).

All NMEA 2000 items require a backbone to work off of. A powered backbone is needed. To prevent inadvertent direct connection all units have male connections that won't fit together. The females are on the tees of the backbone.

The GP1870F connection is a simple drop cable to the bus. The IF-NMEA2k2 will be on another drop on the bus and the 0183 side would wire up to the FCV628. What are your expectations of this interface?

To wire the FCV628 to the IF-NMEA2k2 bi-directional it would wire up like this....

FCV628 Power/Data cable----------IF-NMEA2K2 converter

White (+ NMEA OUT)--------------Light Blue/Yellow (NMEA + Input)
Blue (- NMEA OUT)----------------Light Blue/Green (NMEA - Input)
Yellow (+ NMEA IN) ---------------Pink (NMEA + Output)
Green (- NMEA in)-----------------Pink/Black (NMEA - Output)

The other wires of the 2k2 are not used. The ORG/PPL/BLK that are wired together stay just as they are (wired together).
Thanks Johnny, my intent is to be able to mark fish on the FCV-628 and have it save a way point on the GP1870, is this correct FCV628 0183 to IF-NMEA2k2 to Bus to GP1870? I will be running only the two units on a PWC. Would your suggested configuration achieve this?

thanks again Kiwi

I don't know what you mean by PWC.
You should be able to mark fish and have it mark on the sounder using TLL sentence. It would be a matter of wiring it up bi-directional as discussed.

I don't know what you mean by PWC.
You should be able to mark fish and have it mark on the sounder using TLL sentence. It would be a matter of wiring it up bi-directional as discussed.
thanks Johnny appreciate your help, I will wire as you've advised. PWC personal watercraft (Jet ski/wave runner} thanks again

We don't have anything water rated for "PWC"s. Nothing we sell is water submersible. I would recommend you are very careful as water intrusion is not covered by warranty.

Back