How Removeable is the TZTL15F?

Cavalcante

Hello.

Does everyone permanently flush mount their 15" TZZT MFD or does anyone install and remove their 15" TZT each time they use their boat?

The reason I ask is this. I purchased a 15" TZTL15F for flush-mount installation in a custom helm for a boat I was restoring but have since moved on and now would like to install it into my 32' Marinette Fisherman. This boat only has an open bridge as seen in the pic and nowhere to flush mount without major bridge aluminum work (aluminum hull). That leaves me only the option of a bracket mount like the Humminbird that came with the boat as seen in this pic, and taking it in and out each time to prevent theft or some other plan

208822909_1713326602207950_6798359256926653863_n.jpg

Should I just bracket mount it and leave it and not worry about it?

Many thanks!
Regards,
Bob

The TZTL15F is easily removed from the bracket. The connections are also easy to make or disconnect. If you have no concern about theft than you could leave it there. If there was any concern at all that theft could be an issue then I would remove it, or someone else might...

Thanks. I realize it's easy, just worried about the connectors as a point of failure after repeated use. (I'm a retired Navy Gas Turbine Technician Senior Chief and have been working on electronics for 38 years) The marina is small and not secure and I'm not there a full season and don't have a lot of confidence.

With the connectors being pigtail cables coming out the back, the cable harness can be replaced when needed but overall the RJ45 is pretty standard across the industry and tends to hold up well to connections and disconnections. The other connections are even more built to accommodate removal including the multi cable that includes a pigtail junction to allow removal without need to unscrew from a junction box.

Johnny Electron":57k8pp36 said:
With the connectors being pigtail cables coming out the back, the cable harness can be replaced when needed but overall the RJ45 is pretty standard across the industry and tends to hold up well to connections and disconnections. The other connections are even more built to accommodate removal including the multi cable that includes a pigtail junction to allow removal without need to unscrew from a junction box.

Much appreciated. Just trying to plan ahead. Perhaps a bracket this year keeping it removable and next year I can consider relocating my throttles to put that MFD front and center.

Nice looking helm! The TZTL15F would mount very nicely on the port side of the helm. The only problem is with the bracket made by Furuno which is pricey. I have a trailer boat and I remove the TZTL15F regularly and have had no problems with this.

Back