Heading

GUS

I am looking for a heading sensor, preferably, due to space limitations on my boat. What I am looking for is for my TZ2 to show my heading (actually bow direction) while I am "spot locked" with a bow motor. Basically, while looking at my plotter & DFF3D, I would like to easily "jog" my boat left, right, forward or back.

Would a PG700 or a PG500R work for this application? If so, is there a better choice between the two? Which one might work better installed within the small center console?

If you can find a spot to mount it, the SCX-20 is a big improvement on a regular rate sensor compass such as the PG700. It will also make your heaving corrections more accurate, improve your PBG generation, and give you the position accuracy and stability you need for what you described as your objective. It's worth the small additional cost.

Thanks for the advice. This is a 18' center, no hardtop, so the SCX-20 just wont have a home.

With further research (reading the manuals), I think I have to go with the PG700, due to the canbus integration.

I have a SCX-20 on my 29' and it works great.

Back