Heading sensor (PG700) location

MVStillwater

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forum. I'm installing a 711C on my Krogen 54 and working on the placement of the PG700 Heading Sensor. I've read the manual and spoken with Furuno support about the ideal location. However, due to some wiring challenges, I would like to install it on the floor in a void forward of the helm in the pilot house. This would place it about 6-7' above the water line. How much of an issue do you think this would be? Furuno tech support talked about roll, pitch and heave, but couldn't really say how much of an issue this placement might be. Does anyone have experience with placement like this above the waterline?

Many thanks for any advice,

Richard

As long as there is no magnetic interference, I think you will be fine. You could always tape the compass to the floor and run the cable across the deck to test it before permanently mounting it and running the cable.

Thanks for your reply. I'll do the standalone check as per the manual then screw it down. The location is so easy to access that a permanent installation will only take 10 mins. I'll see how it performs in big seas (which I won't likely see until October) and take it from there.

Back