Heading Sensor for NavPilot 300

Drstressor

I am installing a NavPilot 300, which was ordered without a heading sensor. The installation instructions indicate that a heading sensor is optional.

1) Will the unit function without a heading sensor? If so, what functions would be lost?

2) My Simrad NSS Gen3 has an external GPS antenna with an integrated electronic compass. Would that function as a heading sensor for the NP 300 or do I need to order a PG700, which would present a difficult installation problem on my boat.

The NavPilot is currently sold in two configurations (with and without a heading compass) to allow customers with existing heading systems to use what heading source they might already own. This prevents them from being forced to buy something they don't need. Heading itself is NOT optional. The Heading device is a local supply item for those who purchase the pilot without it.

Navpilot 300/PG - Navpilot with PG700 Flux gate compass
Navpilot 300 - Navpilot without heading source
NP300Heading.JPG

Will the unit function without a heading sensor?
It will turn on and alarm no heading and that is about it. You MUST have heading.

My Simrad NSS Gen3 has an external GPS antenna with an integrated electronic compass. Would that function as a heading sensor for the NP 300 or do I need to order a PG700, which would present a difficult installation problem on my boat.

If it can provide good heading to the NMEA 2000 bus, it "Should" work. Keep in mind if your heading is poor the autopilot will be poor. Slow response heading can lead to the autopilot "S"ing and over correcting. Some sources of heading are okay for doing radar overlay but heading for a pilot requires good quality. The first boat I installed a NP300 on attempted to use a low cost fluxgate (brand name withheld). It worked fine but every time the customer would accelerate or decelerate the compass heading would go off 20 degrees sending the pilot into a hard turn. This is because the low cost compass couldn't manage the pitch and roll of the boat and maintain good quality heading. I don't have any knowledge on the sensor you have. All I can say is you can "Try" it and see. If it works it would be great to tell others here, so we all know. On some boats (Like Steel) you can't use a fluxgate like the PG700 and must use suitable source like a sat compass. Much depends on the boat. You might start by watching your existing heading and compare it to your steering compass and COG. They should be within a few degree of each other almost all the time. If you find your heading is 10 degrees off from your COG and steering compass even for short periods it might not work. If it can hang in and give good quality heading quickly then it might work very well for you.

Back