Head unit for b265lh

Tfukuhara

Hey guys I’m completely new to this forum and need some input regarding a head unit. First of all I just purchased a b265 and I’m now looking at either a tzt3, or fcv 295. Basically I’m looking to get the best deep water performance deep dropping in the 900 to 1500 ft range. I guess my main point is I don’t want to spend more on the tzt3 when the performance on the fcv 295 is better. I’m open to other suggestions as well and I would’ve went with a 2kw ducer but it’s way too big for my boat. I’m switching over from garmin since I’m not satisfied with the chirp on the garmin units for deep fishing. Thanks ahead!

Thank you for your inquiry,

I think we should start by defining what expectations you are looking for for the new equipment. You mentioned you were not happy with the Garmin Chirp Presentation for deep dropping? We need to ask, what transducer was being used with the Garmin unit? Was it the same transducer that you plan to use with the TZT3 or the FCV295?

Also I think it would be beneficial to get your idea of expectations at that depth with a 1kw transducer. Are you looking to just mark bottom or do you want to mark fish at that depth? If discussing fish detection, what kind of fish do you want to see: Schooled or individual? How close to the bottom are the fish?

Typically to go deep we would use a 2/3kw transducer at a low frequency. With the understanding that you may not be able to fit such a transducer, expectations of results may vary regarding performance depending on what you are looking for.

C-Bass

Thanks for the reply right now I’m using a b175L and a b175m single band chirp transducers. With the garmin unit it only picks up good bottom detail if the boat is at drift or moving very slowly. Anything above 5kts generates a lot of noise making it difficult to get a accurate bottoms reading in about 900 ft. Maybe a little less.I am currently deep dropping in about 1000ft right now and can’t see any targets but was hoping a good furuno head unit would be able to possibly pickup targets with a b265. The target fish is I think you call them queen snappers but in Hawaii they are called Onaga’s. Not looking for individual fish targets but looking for schools of fish to drop on. With the b265 I’ve noticed that the cone degree is narrower on the low frequency so I was hoping that it would perform better than the b175l. I had a really old furuno unit in the past and was very happy with the bottom performance. I only decided to go with the garmin because at the time I purchased the unit I don’t think that furuno put out their chirp unit yet.

Back