Furuno DI-FFAMP Amplifier

Smiler

Hello

I am located in Southern California and seasonally fish bluefin tuna and then transition in the fall to deep dropping for swordfish. My boat is equipped with two net worked Furuno TZ2touch chart plotters/fishfinders both of with connect to a single 165T-50/200-SS260 transducer. The transducer is flush mounted, glassed into centerline of the keel about a third of the way back from the bow.

I am very pleased with how the unit performs particularly fishing bluefin. Let’s just say not much passes under the boat we don’t see.

Now to my question, when swordfishing we typically operate in the 50 kw mode with the TVG set to the high end of the scale. It works but not as well as folks operating more powerful transducers (2kw-3kw). Would adding the referenced amplifier be helpful in this 50kw, deep water scenario? Typically we are “looking” for bait and/or Deep Scatter Layer (DSL) in 800-1200 feet of water. Look forward to reeding your thoughts.

The combo transducer you have, uses the B164 elements for the normal 50/200.
https://www.airmar.com/bottom-calculato ... efid=SS164
According to Airmar it should cover the depth you are looking for. Most of the bait would up higher and best seen with the HF (at least for the smaller stuff). LF has always been considered the fisherman's frequency. The B164 elements are what I call "happy medium" elements. They are not specifically tuned to 50 or 200, but set to a happy medium for both freqs. It is a decent 1kw but not my personal favorite 1kw (which is the B260, and has optimized elements) Unless you need to go deeper; I wouldn't recommend changing or adding anything. While power is helpful; frequency trumps power and frequency is much more important than power in relation to transducers. While you could maybe get a diffrent transducer with optimized elements or broadband CHIRP abilities; I don't think it will help much at that depth unless you are not reaching bottom. DeepSea and C-Bass might have a diffrent take and they are better at that part than I. Whatever you do, it is best to follow the path you are on now and do your research before changing anything.

Back