Green Heading Line Opposite my actual heading

My green heading line is 180 degrees out of sync with my actual heading. Have been looking for a reason but have not found one in the manual or on the forum. Hoping this is just a setting I mistakenly flipped. BTW- COG red dotted line is correctly oriented in the direction I am actually moving.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

I'll have to dig into that as all this equipment was installed by the previous opener, however, the Furuno displays are attached to all Furuno equipment and sensors, (RADAR, AIS, FAX, ANTENNA,etc.) which unit would produce heading?

Hey Johnny,

I dug out the previous opwner's documentaton on what was installed (ar at least purchased). These are the products:
FA50 - Furuno FA50 AIS50 AIR REceiver
DRS6A - Furuno Navnet 3D digital radar
GP330B - Furuno GPS/WAAS Sensor
BBWX2 - Furno Serius Sat Weather w/ 4 port hub
TZT14 - Two Tztouch 14" displays
Furuno Power Supply

I don't see either of the products you mentioned ie - PG500 or PG700 I have not seen one of those on the boat but that doesn't mean it's not in some compartment. I do not know what equipment was on the boat before the Furuno parts were installed in 2012.

I have a SIMRAD Autopilot if that comes into play.

From this list, any guidance on where heading is coming from and, more importantly, how do I turn it around?

Thanks!

If you have a Simrad autopilot, it will most likely have a Simrad RC42 or similar rate compass connected to it. That would have been interfaced as the source of heading for your Furuno equipment. Simrad used a proprietary connector for their SimNet, which is like NMEA 2000. There should be an adapter cable from the autopilot controller or possibly your autopilot control head that connects to your NMEA 2000 network. It has been many years since I had a Simrad autopilot, however, it may be possible for the settings to have been altered so that it is not sending out the NMEA 2000 heading PGN that your chartplotter and radar overlay require.

Thanks for all the insights. I found my SIMRAD Flux Gate Compass and since the autopilot seemed to be showing the correct heading I dug into the Furuno TZTouch setup screens and finally found Heading Source. It has somehow gotten changed to my AIRMAR WX Weather sensor. I changed it to my NMEA2000 bus and all is working.

topcorner18":zdbgv1xy said:
Thanks for all the insights. I found my SIMRAD Flux Gate Compass and since the autopilot seemed to be showing the correct heading I dug into the Furuno TZTouch setup screens and finally found Heading Source. It has somehow gotten changed to my AIRMAR WX Weather sensor. I changed it to my NMEA2000 bus and all is working.

Good!

You have to watch out that the TZT 2 will automatically select another data source if the one designated as the primary source is unavailable. So if the Airmar WX was running and the Simrad autopilot was not, it might start using it anyway. I have an Airmar 220WX on my NMEA 2000 network and the TZT 3s have switched to it a few times instead of the SCX-20 satellite compass that is the primary heading source.

If you have access to the Airmar Weathercaster software and a NMEA 2000/USB interface, you can change the settings of the Airmar WX so it doesn't send out the heading PGN. Not worth the bother probably. I did it because I have the interface and was updating the software on the Airmar and it was easy to also go in to the settings. In fact, I set up the Airmar to use the SCX-20 as its heading source which improved the accuracy of its true wind calculations.

I had a similar issue on my tztouch2, switched from weather to nmea2000. It changed the heading, but still incorrect (off by 30 degrees or so). Is that common and just need to adjust in settings?

Separately, the furuno gear is connected to an older simrad autopilot. I don’t think the simrad heading is correct, either.

New to me boat.

In cases like that old thread you jumped on, they had the weather sensor mounted backwards. The device has a bow mark that needs to be pointed correctly. Your boat each heading source needs evaluated separately but fluxgate compasses are subject to metal and magnetism, so placement is important. I always recommend taking a boat out and comparing each heading source to the COG developed by a moving boat by the GPS and the Richie steering compass. Find the outlier and get it calibrated, moved to good location or fixed.

Back