GPS interference or connection issues ?

Sven

I installed the system 5-6 months ago. The system consists of the NavNet TZtouch2, a PG-500 heading sensor, an FA 50 AIS transceiver and an old FCV 600L color depth sounder which is not interfaced to the network.

Our displayed GPS velocity keeps jumping all over the place even when we are quite stationary in the slip. I've uploaded two videos that show the erratic velocity and the satellite reception respectively.

https://youtu.be/8Z4F5pKdf2U

https://youtu.be/SqzlTq3ISaU

I am not positive if the problem is new or has existed since the initial installation but I think it is getting worse. No other GPS receivers onboard have issues so it is not an external GPS interference causing the problem.

I'd really appreciate some suggestions for how to track down the source of the problem, maybe a poor connection in the system or maybe noise in the power supplied to the system or maybe a failing component in the system ?

I have turned just about all electrical systems onboard off and the problem remains.

Insights or suggestions ?

TIA !

-Sven

What is your primary GPS source set to? You are not getting good signal. You are hardly getting enough signal to get a fix. Do you have a photos of how all your antennas are mounted on the boat? I suspect you GPS antenna is too close to something or in direct beam of the radar.

Johnny Electron":273dq5j0 said:
What is your primary GPS source set to? You are not getting good signal. You are hardly getting enough signal to get a fix. Do you have a photos of how all your antennas are mounted on the boat? I suspect you GPS antenna is too close to something or in direct beam of the radar.

That's exactly the insight I needed ! Thank you.

I had not even seen the 'data source' for GPS in 'initial setup' so it was set to the MFD itself.

Once I switched the data source to the FA 50 AIS unit which has an external antenna the velocity noise disappeared instantly !

The equipment is outstanding but for the novice user it is a bit intimidating so I'm very glad this forum exists.

Thanks again !

-Sven

Back