gp33 does not follow route

A

Anonymous

The gp33 displays a bearing and range (left side of plotter screen) to the first waypoint in a Route. It does not display a bearing and range to the NEXT waypoint in a Route. You must activate a "go to" for each waypoint in a route. Once you reach a waypoint, you do not know the bearing and range of the NEXT waypoint in a route. Should the gp33 display bearings and ranges in a route automatically?? Regards George

Looks like I misinterpreted the display, because my old gps did display range and bearing to the next waypoint. So you aim the course bar at the next waypoint to get there that is the only way correct?

Using that screen, it is the only way; yes. There are other screens, like the hi-way mode screen that show range and bearing to next waypoint.

Hello again I wanted to make some test before getting back to you. Please read the first paragraph on page 4-1 of the operators manual. The gp33 should automatically advance to the next waypoint. The cursor and own boat mark would be the same location when the cursor is not displayed. Therefore range and bearing to cursor would be zero. Here is what happened today. I activated the route, and the Shortest Course Line (blue arrow) pointed to the first WP in the route displaying range and bearing accurately. All the WP's were connected togeather with a blue line. As I approached the first WP the lines connecting the next WP's began disappearing one by one. The lines closest to me disappeared first then all lines except the last 2 WP's in the route disappeared. Now the gp33 is displaying range and bearing to the last leg of the route NOT the next WP in the route even though I am still at the beginning of the route. Same thing on the return trip. If the gp33 had range and bearing data to the next WP I think it would output that data to any screen that displayed bearing and range. What is wrong here??

The cursor and own boat mark would be the same location when the cursor is not displayed. Therefore range and bearing to cursor would be zero.

What screen are you talking about? If you are talking about the same plotter screen as before; please see the note given in the manual.

Gp33plot.jpg

As I approached the first WP the lines connecting the next WP's began disappearing one by one. The lines closest to me disappeared first then all lines except the last 2 WP's in the route disappeared. Now the gp33 is displaying range and bearing to the last leg of the route NOT the next WP in the route even though I am still at the beginning of the route.

My guess is you are using waypoints very close together and your arrival alarm area is too large. This might be resulting in you triggering the arrival of more than one waypoint, at the same time. This will drop any waypoints that fall in that arrival area. Hence you only having the two waypoints left that are outside the arrival area.

GP33switching.jpg

Try making your arrival area smaller or moving the waypoints further way from each other.

OK Looks like it is working now. The blue lines connecting the WP stay connected. The plotter display is giving magnetic bearings to the next WP. How was I supposed to know the alarm feature had something to do with it! The manual is not very clear on that.
Anyhow thanks Looks like a great GPS now. George

Glad it worked out. You are right about the manual. We continue to ask for more details and clearer instructions for the manuals.

Back