Getting DSC data into TZT2

colemj

Furuno Fan
We have a Standard Horizon GX2200 VHF radio with AIS/DSC. It outputs its data over NMEA0183. Since the TZT2 does not have 0183 input capability, I have connected an Actisense NGW-1 0183-2000 converter between the radio and the TZT2.

The NGW-1 shows up on the source list of the TZT2, it is receiving the 0183 data from the radio and putting it on the 2000 bus, but neither the DSC or AIS data show up on the TZT2.

Is there some setting on the TZT2 that I do not have correct to receive AIS and DSC data?

The AIS data are showing up, but not the DSC.

What I want to accomplish is having DSC position reports show up on the TZT2.

I expect the radio isn't fully filling out all the required data in the PGN 129808 to plot the information. We saw this type of problem in the past with DSC via 0183 from some radios. (see thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2513 )

Have you tried looking at your NMEA 2000 monitor in ServiceMan to see what the PGN says?
2kMonitor.JPG

Ah, that's where that is. I have that functionality on our NN3D system in the setup wizard, and had been looking for it on the TZT2 to no avail. Only found out about the Service Man function when I recently updated the software, so I'll look some more in there.

FWIW, this works fine on the NN3D when the 0183 radio output is connected directly to the 0183 NN3D input.

OK, I solved this. The problem was that the Actisense NGW-1 did not translate the DSC and DSE sentences. However, Actisense recently issued a beta version of firmware that does include these translations, as well as some other ones not in the production firmware.

Updating the firmware did the trick.

For anyone else with this issue, be aware that once the Actisense is updated with this beta firmware, there is no path back to restoring the previous production firmware.

Now I have a related question. Once a DSC position is shown on the TZT2, I can't find a way to delete it. I can navigate to it, or turn it into a waypoint, but I can't delete it. If I turn it into a waypoint, then delete that point, the DSC symbol stays. It does go away after the TZT2 receives another DSC position and updates to that one.

What am I missing?

Back