Furuno VX1 RDP-139 software programming

A

Anonymous

Hi everybody, just putting the question out here on this forum as im struggling to get much help over here in Australia from Furuno.
I have A VX1 RDP-139 NT , this unit was originally in C- Map format and then the boat was sold and the owner changed the software over to support Navionics.
I have now bought the boat am the only map card for my area that I can get is C-Map format. The issue im having now is that there is no one in Australia that still has the cards/cables needed to change this software back to C-Map format.
Does anyone here have experience in doing this software change over or could they put me in contact with someone that can help!!

Cheers Ryan

Hi Melville,
Yeah I have spoken to them and also any other possible Furuno service and sales companies across Australia. They are all telling me that their card is worn out or they lost it or lent it to someone etc. Hence why I am now reaching out to the USA. Thanks

Ryan,

We field this kind of inquiry every so often in the States and have been able to maintain older units, but at approximately 14 or so years old, support is a lot more difficult to provide. A card-based update for your machine is possible but not likely. Depending on the operating version of the software, most cartography swaps have to be done via a PC update, NOT a card update. In virtually any case, your display would have to come back to a Furuno service center for the update. To the degree that I know JNT structure, that means you'd have to take the display to their office in Brisbane or in Perth, assuming, of course, they still have program disks.

I have to caution about the C-Map charts too. CORRECTION TO PREVIOUS POST: C-Map updates the FP card format but the updates are reaching a point of diminishing returns. If my memory serves, the FP cards were never more than 8MB in size and it's not possible to fit all the new chart data in a card of limited size. So, even if you can find a "new" chart card, the charts will progressively be smaller in size, and/or potentially less detailed. Navionics discontinued support of their version of the FP cards quite a long time ago. Note also that software development of NavNet1 and VX2 is at an end - if something changes in the C-Map charts, we won't have the ability to change NN1 software to accommodate those changes.

So - the update path you are requesting is possible but realistically, your money would be better spent in replacement with something more up to date. Form/fit/function suggest a VX2 unit, which would require replacing only the display. True, VX2 has been discontinued in production but there are still plenty of units available on the open market. If you really want a modern update, I suggest you look at NavNet TZtouch or TZtouch2, which just started shipping here in the States.

I too Live in Australia and have been frustrated by the obsolescence V maintenance conundrum. My vx1 rdp 139 chart plotter defaulted to Simulation mode recently and will not reboot back no matter how many times I follow the reset prompt at startup reset procedure. I have completely dismantled the unit looking for and testing for dry joints or fried sub-components. I have taken the unit into our local Furuno technicians whom were trained at the Brisbane facility when vx1 & vx2 were new. I have spoken to the Brisbane office also only to be told their technical reset instruments no longer exist. I am currently needing to know whether a chart plotter vx1 used and functioning unit available in FL USA which has ''c-map'' written on the map insert lid is compatible with mine which is ''c-map NT '' Would a moderator be able to advise me? I really would just like to buy an '' unfrozen'' mother-board and install it if there is still an availability in the USA to such parts.

I should also ad that as I navigate our waterways ( which are full of moving shallow sand bars), I have radar &gps which gives me nominal historic depth indications & all markers. I have SOG readings but no numerical depth readings. The transducer shows correct impedance, and when the screen is set to sounder, I just get simulated test patterns cycling from about 150 ft to about 3 ft rolling through like an old pianola. I appreciate this system is now quite old, but I have been told by a buddy in Indiana that there are still a few coast guard vessels sporting this system and that there are still plenty of parts and good working chart plotters available ( by comparison to the rest of the world). We are retired and use the Silverton very regularly as it is tied up to our backyard jetty. We know the waterways very well, but with a draft of 3ft and plenty of mirky tidal waters to navigate, we have to limit our trips to known waterways at 4 to 6 knots until the plotter is fully functional. I note there is now another vx1 rdp 139 chart plotter available in US on ebay sporting c-map NT+ which I assume means the evolution of vx1 using c-map had 3 versions being c-map, c-map NT & c-map NT+ ? Would anyone know whether I could use either or, to replace my faulty c-map NT sporting vx1 ? Thank you for allowing me membership to a community where comprehensive information is available.

Premium-
There was no difference in Navnet one C-Map. They all took the same format chart cards.
All the accessories and peripherals of NN1 would work with Navnet vx2. The 10.4" version was also known as an RDP149 vs your RDP139.

So my suggestion would be to search for a 10.4" Navnet vx2 instead. it would be newer. I would also suggest you get the C-Map version (as opposed to Navionics) as you can use more up to date charting. You will have to buy a new chart card though.

There are plenty of these available that have been refurbished by reputable companies. Maybe JN Taylor can help you with this.

Thank you for your empirical insight. I have been of the misapprehension that to fit a vx2 rdp 149, extra cabling was required. Now that you have dispelled this, I will seek the newer rdp 149 10.4'' plotters I see available in greater numbers than the older vx1. Much appreciated. DWJ.

Back