FURUNO NavNet TZtouch2 <-> PG 500 heading sensor ?

Sven

My first post seems to not have taken so let me try again ...

I am completely new to Furuno so I don't know my way around yet.

In installing the chartplotter/MFD I'm assuming that its connection to the integrated heading sensor is best done with the NMEA pigtails ? My question is which wires I should hook together in the two pigtails ? Is it as simple as color to same color ? Including the power leads ?

If this is documented somewhere that I just haven't identified yet please just give me a URL or pointer.

Many thanks,

-Sven

Sven,

The TZT2 only receives data by NMEA 2000 or Furuno network. Heading would normally be provided by a NMEA 2000 source like the PG700. If connecting an 0183 device, you would be required to first convert it to NMEA 2000. You would require the 0183 to NMEA 2000 converter like the Furuno IF-NMEA2k2. Then the converter/compass and TZT2 would connect to an established NMEA 2000 bus. Do you have a converter? Do you have an established NMEA 2000 bus?

Hi Johnny, thanks for replying.

Right now I just have

FURU NavNet TZtouch2 12.1"
FURU DRS4D-NXT DOPPLER RADAR
FURUNO FLUXGATE COMPASS
FURU CLASS B AIS TRANSPONDER

The last/only system I put in was a Simrad/Simnet system and I wrongly assumed that this installation would also use some included Furuno Navnet connections in place of the Simnet connectors. I'm now realizing that I'll need an ethernet (?) hub and something that will also allow me to connect the compass.

If I bought the wrong heading sensor I'm pretty sure the retailer will let me make an exchange but if I just need some additional connectors they should be able to provide that too. Just let me know.

I don't currently anticipate hooking any other Furuno components into the network but there might be some future sonar enhancements, if anything.

Thanks for the help.

-Sven

You will need an off the shelf network hub so you can connect the AIS, Radar, and TZT2 on the same Ethernet connection. These are rather low cost. The TPLink that many use is about $10.

NMEA 2000 is a different bus than Ethernet and NOT the same. It is a network established for most manufacturers to use; by NMEA (National Marine Electronics Association). That bus has basic rules that must be followed. Most people establish a NMEA 2000 bus by using a starter kit (like Furuno USA p/n AIR-033-745) or maybe using the FI-5002 junction box for a bus. You MUST establish a NMEA 2000 bus to connect NMEA 2000 items together. In your case, it sounds like you need a bus established and then connect either a NMEA 2000 compass to it or convert the one you have to NMEA 2000. If doing your own installation, you might want to read up about NMEA 2000 networks. Your dealer should be helping you get the correct items.

Thanks again,

I found some of your FURUNO documentation at defender ( 257049_CAN_BUS.pdf & 257049_INSTALL.pdf ) which are getting me started. It looks like the NMEA starter kit is the way to go for the heading sensor to TZT2 connection, as you suggested, so I'm about to order it.

One question about the ethernet hub, does it need to be powered with its own power supply or is there POE when hooked up to the TZT2 ?

Thanks,

-Sven

Back