Furuno fcv 628

P

Projectworkout

Hey all, new memeber here my name is Vadim. I am looking to upgrade my sonar to a furuno Fcv 628. I was wondering what would be the best suited transducer for the unit. It can be transom mounted or thru hull. It will be traveling at speeds of max 38 knots. I will primarily will be fishing for sturgeon with the max depth being about 70ft. Mainly around 20-40ft range. Thank you in advance!

Good afternoon Projectworkout,

Thank you for your inquiry. I would start by asking you a few questions on the type, length, and style of your vessel.

How long is it?
What is its draft?
What type of engine: Outboard, Inboard, ect?
Does the vessel live in the water or is it hauled out oftern?
Do you trailer the vessel?

Next we need to try and figure out your expectations of the sounder especially your expectations on trying to mark a good bottom while going 38 knots? Does your requirement have to be that the sounder must mark a consistent bottom at 38 knots.
Do you require the sounder to show you individual fish targets at 38 knots?

This can be very tricky to accomplish depending on the type of vessel just to keep that in mind. Marking the bottom at 38 knots is difficult but marking individual sturgeon at 38 knots is almost impossible.

Please try to give us a couple more answers and I am sure we can figure out a solution to fit your needs depending on the answers that you provide us.

Kind Regards,

Hey C-Bass
Thank you for the quick response.
My boat is 17ft long, its draft is about 2 feet.
It has an inboard engine
The vessel is often hauled and is in the trailer when not in use.
Sorry about the confusion, i meant to say when in use it will be going up to 38 knots from different fishing holes. I would like my sounder to mark fish while i will be going about 2-4 knots.
Thank you

What kind of trailer is used when you haul your boat?

Is it a bunk trailer or a roller trailer?

Based on the information, if you where to use a through hull transducer you would probably get better performance when searching for bottom at higher speeds. Most of the thru-hull transducer's that are compatible with the FCV628 have a highspeed fairing block to help get the transducer off the bottom of the boat further and also to divert any turbulence around the face of the transducer. With that being said, it can sometimes be hard to mount a thru-hull transducer on vessels that use a trailer often because of the size of fairing block.

Do you want the FCV628 to use the Bottom Discrimination feature or the Accu-Fish feature?

I use a bunk trailer to haul.
I think bottom discrimination would be better because i never use the fish id. Yeah if through hull transducers get a clearer picture of the bottom while i am moving slowly then thats all i would need. My current transducer is mounted on the outside of the boat, on the right hand side of the motor.

It works pretty well for what it is. Of course it cant mark fish at high speeds but im not expecting that from the furuno either. My units a grey scale an the lowest frequency is 83 khz. I just want the Furuno to give me a better reading of the river bottom so i can mark fish.

Back