Furuno 1815 with PG 700, NMEA 0183 converter (IF-NMEA2K2) to CAN or NMEA 2000

Smallwk

Little background information:

I have never installed one of these before, so I'm asking for guidance.

I just installed a Furuno 1815 with PG 700, AIS FA-50, NMEA 0183 converter (IF-NMEA2K2) to CAN or NMEA 2000, I can see my other 2K devices on my backup GPS that is NMEA 2K ready, it also has a device list, with all 2K devices shown, so I know I have communication termination set correctly. I've also connected the terminal board to the corresponding NMEA connections outlined in the pictorial diagrams and schematics on the back page of the Furuno 1815 manual. Reference Drawing number C3666-C01-H "Marine Radar Interconnection Diagram"

I did build a secondary network, RJ-45 interconnect for AIS support, as well as bluetooth support on Victron lithium power battery management system for Shipboard Electronics, including building an electronic drain with capacitor isolation so I have no current feedback or noise on my boat ground. All ancillary systems are completely isolated from lead acid boat battery engine systems.

Again: the back page of the Furuno 1815 manual
Reference Drawing number C3666-C01-H "Marine Radar Interconnection Diagram"

First question does this sound correct? I have the NMEA2K2 is connected to terminals 3,4,5,6, coming from the radar WHT, BLU, YEL, GREEN, From the IF-NMEA2K2, PINK, to 3 terminal WHT, PINK WITH BLACK STRIPE to Terminal 4 BLU, LIGHT BLUE YELLOW STRIPE to Terminal 5 YEL, GREEN STRIPE to Terminal 6 GREEN. If not please advise?

Second question is the Furuno model 1815 capable of bi-directional communication? The (IF-NMEA2K2) is blinking power is on, still no communication to display unit on the Furuno 1815, in test mode I see NO NMEA inputs at all, my PG-700 seems to be calibrated and is on the device list on my backup GPS that is a Garmin and NMEA 2000 network. The (IF-NMEA2K2) is also on the device list on the Garmin. It appears all NMEA 2000 devices are seen on the GPS, but no communication to the Radar display, Radar rotates sweeps and shows radiation pattern and contacts, but no heading information, Longitude or Latitude information, my PG-700 should be feeding compass or heading info via the NMEA 2K network to 1815 display, right? If not what do I need to have this information displayed on the 1815/RDP-157?

My other problem is I bought a used AIS FA-50 what is the service name and password, will this allow me to reset the unit so I can load my boats MMSI and name for the transponder? I can access the unit via the web browser with default IP address, but I can't make any changes to the FA-50. Please help.

Also, I have the AIS FA-50 feed through the junction box to the terminal board for the 1815 display unit RDP-157, what is the interconnect to the display, colors codes from the AIS to 1815 display or RDP-157. Would this be NMEA 0183, correct? Coming from the AIS, I don't see NMEA 2000 or CAN network interconnect on the FA-50, right? Do you need the color of the wires out of the FA-50? or can you look them up? Would it help if I send photos? Please help.

Can the Furuno 1815 display/RDP-157 support both protocols NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2000 on NMEA1 input and NMEA2 inputs respectively? According to the schematic I referenced earlier there is a 3rd NMEA port address, simply named NMEA3.

Finally, I also want to integrate my VHF radio into the NMEA 2000 it is NMEA 2000 ready, and has internal GPS, AIS capability, DSC calling etc... should this also read through to the Furuno 1815 via NMEA 2000 network? I thought the (IF-NMEA2K2) allowed for integration from NMEA 0183 to a CAN network.
Please advise, I'm starting to regret my purchase of this Radar unit, I should have purchased a NMEA 2000 ready system, it might have been a better fit for my shipboard application.

Last edited:
I just installed a Furuno 1815 with PG 700, AIS FA-50, NMEA 0183 converter (IF-NMEA2K2) to CAN or NMEA 2000,

First question does this sound correct? I have the NMEA2K2 is connected to terminals 3,4,5,6, coming from the radar WHT, BLU, YEL, GREEN, From the IF-NMEA2K2, PINK, to 3 terminal WHT, PINK WITH BLACK STRIPE to Terminal 4 BLU, LIGHT BLUE YELLOW STRIPE to Terminal 5 YEL, GREEN STRIPE to Terminal 6 GREEN. If not please advise?

-- This looks like correct wiring. If specifically we're using the NMEA2k2 for heading, this could go into Port 3 Rx Only of the 1815 labeled "heading sensor." The SCX21 or PG500R are two alternative heading sensors that natively wire up to the 1815 NMEA0183 ports.

Second question is the Furuno model 1815 capable of bi-directional communication?

-- The Furuno Model 1815 is capable of bi-directional communication. It outputs the following NMEA0183 sentences: ACK, RSD, TLL, and TTM. You can review the sentences it can input on pages 1-13 & 1-14 of the Operator's manual. For ARPA functions, it at least needs heading (HDG) & GGA (GPS Fix Data).

My other problem is I bought a used AIS FA-50 what is the service name and password, will this allow me to reset the unit so I can load my boats MMSI and name for the transponder?

-- The FA-50 can be taken to a local dealer who can reprogram the unit with your MMSI. Contact Furuno Technical Support for assistance for how to get in touch with an authorized Furuno dealer.

Also, I have the AIS FA-50 feed through the junction box to the terminal board for the 1815 display unit RDP-157, what is the interconnect to the display, colors codes from the AIS to 1815 display or RDP-157?

-- The NMEA0183 port is in the FA-50 power cable assembly. You can find an interconnect diagram on page S-1 of the FA-50 Operator manual. To interface via NMEA0183 you use the WHT/BLU/YEL/GRN wires in the cable assembly and send AIS serially to PORT1 or 2.

Would this be NMEA 0183, correct?

Yes,

Coming from the AIS, I don't see NMEA 2000 or CAN network interconnect on the FA-50, right?

There is not a NMEA2000 or CanBUS port on the FA-50, the FA-50 was the intended AIS for Furuno NAVNET3D systems, but is fully compatible with a Furuno TZTouch2/3 MFD network. The NMEA2000 compatible AIS from Furuno is the FA70.

Do you need the color of the wires out of the FA-50?

Yes, they follow our standard NMEA0183 wiring color scheme similar to the 1815's (WHT/BLU/YEL/GRN).

or can you look them up?

Yes, see the link to the FA-50 manual above

Would it help if I send photos?

Absolutely, give Furuno Technical Support a call for how to share photos with a technician directly over the phone. Or go to FurunoUSA.com and click on Get Support > Ask a Question and attach your photos there. A technician will review the support request and advise on a solution.

Can the Furuno 1815 display/RDP-157 support both protocols NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2000 on NMEA1 input and NMEA2 inputs respectively?

-- These protocols are different from one another. NMEA0183 is a RS-422/RS-485 Serial Connection, where as NMEA2000 is a CanBUS Relay network. NMEA0183 interfaces with a 6 or 7 pin connector, where as NMEA2000 connects with a 5 pin connector. These are physically different so you cannot make a port which can perform both NMEA2000 & NMEA0183 respectively together. The Furuno 1815 is a standalone radar unit that supports NMEA0183.

Finally, I also want to integrate my VHF radio into the NMEA 2000 it is NMEA 2000 ready, and has internal GPS, AIS capability, DSC calling etc... should this also read through to the Furuno 1815 via NMEA 2000 network?

-- Ideally the radio would pickup AIS through the NavNet TZTouch2/3 LAN/NMEA2000 network. Without a TZTouch2/3 MFD, you can interface with the AIS via NMEA0183. It is not recommended to daisy chain serial NMEA0183 connections through other devices, which potentially creates lag and subsequent issues. Multiplexers exist such as the IF2550 which can extend serial connections and pass serial information to a number of devices.

Back