Fishhunter: RRU needed for new DF300APXX w/ SCX-20 & NavPilot 300?

DaVapors

I was reading on FB that the RRU is not needed to get the rudder information and instead the NavPilot can be programmed to use “Fantum mode” and it will give you the same performance as having a RRU installed for Fishhunter.

Is this correct or does the RRU improve the Fishhunter performance over “fantum mode”?

engines are 2023 df300apxx, scx-20, and NavPilot 300

FishHunter™ Drive in Fantum Feedback™ The following FishHunter™ Drive options are available in Fantum Feedback: Constant Speed Control, Auto Stop on Arrival, Route Smoothing™ and SABIKI Lock™. Point Lock is not available and disabled in the menu if a rudder reference is not detected.

Are you referring to Fishhunter Drive as in only available on certain Suzuki outboards. Or simply FishHunter Mode.

1699904647730.png

1699904449750.png

Please refer to the attached document for the equipment required to get full FishHunter Drive features. Engine rudder reference is required for POINT LOCK...the Navpilot has to sense where the engines are since you are not moving.

1699911621825.png

1699911689271.png

Please refer to the attached document for the equipment required to get full FishHunter Drive features. Engine rudder reference is required for POINT LOCK...the Navpilot has to sense where the engines are since you are not moving.

View attachment 4939

View attachment 4940
that‘s what I did, but why would the video and the guy in the video tell me the RRU isn’t needed? You can see his reply in the comments of the FB post. Seems like Fantum mode allows the AP to get rudder info w/o the need for a RRU as the documentation states.

Last edited:
The documentation AU shared seems to contradict the documentation shared above...

Attachments

• IMG_5816.png
    IMG_5816.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5815.png
    IMG_5815.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
In the video an RRU wasn't needed on their Suzuki install where they use the Suzuki steering system because the Suzuki system provides RRU feedback (it's built in). If you have the full Suzuki steering you will have the same RRU feedback without adding your own RRU. Typically it is those with SeaStar Steering or others that need to consider placing an RRU.

In the video an RRU wasn't needed on their Suzuki install where they use the Suzuki steering system because the Suzuki system provides RRU feedback (it's built in). If you have the full Suzuki steering you will have the same RRU feedback without adding your own RRU.
Thx for the reply, but not sure I’m following. What is “full Suzuki steering?” Is that the same as the Dometic steering? My understanding is that dometic steering isn’t available on the DF200 engines in the video.

Dometic is the new owner of SeaStar and it is not Suzuki. Dometic doesn't provide RRU information so if you wish to have point lock, an RRU must be added. For Dometic steering systems that is normally the teleflex (also owned by Dometic) smart stick.

Dometic is the new owner of SeaStar and it is not Suzuki. Dometic doesn't provide RRU information so if you wish to have point lock, an RRU must be added. For Dometic steering systems that is normally the teleflex (also owned by Dometic) smart stick.
I understand that is what the documentation shared by Titanic above says, however the FB poster video says they don’t have one installed and they show it working fine w/ supporting documentation. Are they incorrect? How does Fantum mode fit into this?

They are correct for a SUZUKI steering system which they were using. If you have RRU information, then Fantum feedback isn't used because you have real feedback information being provided.

They are correct for a SUZUKI steering system which they were using. If you have RRU information, then Fantum feedback isn't used because you have real feedback information being provided.
Thx again! How do I check to see if I have a Suzuki steering system? Are you able to share a part number?

Sounds like the documentation shared by Titanic is incorrect, b/c neither a RRU nor a dometic steering system is required for Spot lock if you use “a Suzuki steering system”, do I understand you correctly?

I think spot lock works differently and doesn't control both steering and throttle as Point Lock does. I am not aware of any errors in the current printed technical data. If you have a Suzuki joystick control, then you would have Suzuki steering. If you don't, then you probably don't. Another clue would be if you have hydraulics or hydraulic helm steering as Suzuki is electrically driven. Not being a Suzuki dealer I don't have their part numbers.

I think spot lock works differently and doesn't control both steering and throttle as Point Lock does. I am not aware of any errors in the current printed technical data. If you have a Suzuki joystick control, then you would have Suzuki steering. If you don't, then you probably don't. Another clue would be if you have hydraulics or hydraulic helm steering as Suzuki is electrically driven. Not being a Suzuki dealer I don't have their part numbers.
Thx again!

From the attached pic, it appears that the “Suzuki steering system” is an “Optimus 360 (dometic) smartcylinder” (digital).

Attachments

• IMG_1796.png
    IMG_1796.png
    998.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Thx again!

From the attached pic, it appears that the “Suzuki steering system” is an “Optimus 360 (dometic) smartcylinder” (digital).
Just heard back from AU and it turns out they were actually using the smartstick 4502! Not sure why they were using Fantum mode w/ a 4502? But I’ve got better things to worry about 😂

gonna test it out this wknd and will report back.

Last edited:
Just to summarize and clarify some points from above:
1. The boat that was filmed on in the U.S. did not have Suzuki's Integrated Steering System. It was the Dometic/SeaStar Optimus EPS.
2. Dometic now owns SeaStar. The Optimus Electronic Power Steering and 360 variants are now interchangeably called Dometic within the industry.
3. Dometic/Optimus EPS or 360 (mechanical, electro-hydraulic, or all electric) have a built in rudder sense that can be shared over NMEA2000 if installed properly.
4. If you have hydraulic steering, you must install a rudder sensor to utilize the Point Lock feature with FishHunter Drive. It will not show up with Fantum Feedback.

Hi guys. I am a professional controll engineer (mechatronic) and I have actually been constucting this type of systems..
In any autopilot (or any steering system) you must have a value for how much rudder you have applied.
There is not way arround this. The rudder is the primary input together with heading.

However you have an option to either meassure the rudder with an RRU or compute what you think the rudder angle should be.

To compute rudder angle is difficult but not totally impossible. It will for sure not be accurate - but maybe not to bad.
If I had been writing the controll I would depend on the RRU and in an emergency switch to a computed (guesstimated) value.

To install a system without a RRU is not a good idea. This is not the right place to save money.....

went to check to see if point lock would now show up after my AP upgrade, but I didn’t see it listed.

going to let my mechanic play w/ it some more on 11-22 before I test it again.

IMG_5908.jpegIMG_5893.jpeg

Last edited:
Back