Filtering out close in noise

ucf_motorcycle

Is there a way to just filter out close in noise?

I was playing with the settings of my new system I have a DRS12ANXT/4. I use the radar for many things but was setting it up for inshore navigating at night/fog. I need the channel markers and obstacles to show up obviously.

But I could not get those to show up without having a bunch of noise close in around the boat and especially behind it. Is there a way to filter out just the close in less than 100' away targets while still having the gain up high enough so channel markers show up?

It sounds like you might be bouncing radar off of some nearby objects on the boat. Do you have photos of the radar mounting on the boat with the surrounding items? While you can take it out of auto mode and run the gain and clutter manually, normally if install location is good you shouldn't have to. What device is running the radar TZT pro, TZT, TZT2, TZT3?

A8F61F60-43AD-40BC-85CB-D0A9A8E2CAE4.jpeg
Here is a picture of the boat before I towed it home with the array not mounted. You get the idea here basic T-top not much to interefere as it’s the highest point.

I have two TZT3-16 running it.
BC5F79B6-88F4-4D80-B79C-50A9A4318525.jpeg

Here you can see the typical returns I’m getting. I’m in between two channel markers to the right and left those are the stronger returns. However all the other stuff closer in and behind me is just noise.

It looks like a radar being picked up by your radar; what we call rabbit tracks. Do you have your interference rejection set to LOW? If not, it should be.

It looks like a radar being picked up by your radar; what we call rabbit tracks. Do you have your interference rejection set to LOW? If not, it should be.
I’ll take a look this afternoon. And send a better picture of the mounting and surrounding area.
If other radar noise, Why would it always be behind the boat? Seems like 70% of the noise is always close in and behind. Makes distinguishing close in targets verse noise very difficult.

If there is anything behind the radar you might want to sector blank that area. It is X-band not X-ray. It won't see thru objects and bouncing RF off nearby items is never a good thing. Your early photos looked clear but it appears to be getting some reflection or picking up a nearby radar without interference rejection being on.

So I can’t find any option regarding interference rejection. Where is that option?

Here’s more shots of the mounting. 62626FF6-5515-4D8C-8275-C85A6188B9AE.jpegB311CAA4-0C3E-48FF-A75C-13A5AC31521C.jpeg

Attachments

• BB8E246D-62FE-4995-B3B5-13778F0AE6C0.jpeg
    BB8E246D-62FE-4995-B3B5-13778F0AE6C0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Maybe it is water because the scanner array doesn't appear to be sealed properly. 1677254744866.png
There should be sealant squished out between the array and the gearbox. I see nothing showing. Those mounting bolts should also be covered per the manual. Water not only will cause radar reflections it will eventually do a lot of damage.

Ok I didn’t know the array should be sealed onto the gearbox. The boat gets delivered without the array and mounted later to avoid damage during trailering. I never sealed other brand arrays before. What sealant should be used? 4200?

I guess I can pull the array off and make sure it’s not wet. Seal it back up

I pulled the array off it was dry inside. I greased the o-ring and I sealed it up with some white silicone. Ran it at the dock which has way too many obstacles around it and actually looked like the noise was gone. I won’t be able to take it out till next week to try again.

Back