FI-501 connection to N2K

robjl

I have a FI-501 that I want to connect to a Weatherstation 120WX .
Can I connect to the (CAN Bus 12 VDC) of the FI-501.
Red & black to 12VDC and the blue & white to the blue & white of the weatherstation.
Thanks

I think you have the weather model number wrong but yes, those types of sensors support NMEA 2000 if you are using the proper NMEA 2000 cable. You want to ensure it isn't the 0183 cable because 0183 and 2000 are not the same and should never be mixed. Once everything is properly wired, you must change a couple of settings in the FI-501 to look for wind data on 2000 instead of it's own wind transducer.

I have a "Splitter" on the Airmar weather station lead so I have N2K and 0183 outputs.
The Weather station lead that came with the Splitter has a resistor built in.
Do I connect 12VDC power to one side of the FI-501 and the N2K to the other Canbus on the rear of the FI-501.?
Does the Weather Station therefore get its power from the FI-501?
What settings do I need to change on the FI-501?
Source of wind data is "r" ??
Source of wind input ?? "td" (Transducer) or "Fr" (FURUNO repeater)
Terninal resistor I turn "ON" ?
The FI-501 is the only N2K unit I have.
I am using the 0183 outputs to a Simrad display that also displays data from Furuno Navnet VX2
Guidance appreciated.

I have a "Splitter" on the Airmar weather station lead so I have N2K and 0183 outputs.
Yeah, you might want to check with Airmar on that. They are intended for 2000 or 0183 but not both. Running both like that might end up letting the smoke out over time.

Do I connect 12VDC power to one side of the FI-501 and the N2K to the other Canbus on the rear of the FI-501.?
No, you don't want to do that. It would short both power sources together. The NMEA 2000 bus power powers the FI-501.

Source of wind input ?? "td" (Transducer) or "Fr" (FURUNO repeater)
Transducer is when the wind source is the FI-5001 wind transducer directly connected to the FI501. In your install using a NMEA 2000 source, you would pick repeater.

Terminal resistor I turn "ON" ?
I would need a drawing of your system to answer that question. A valid bus only has two terminations at each end of the backbone. You don't want one or three. You must have two and only two.

Thanks Johnny. I have wired it all up and it seems to be working.
I do not have a "backbone".
With one sensor (Airmar Weather Station) and one Screen (FI501) on the NMEA 200 I didn't think I needed it.
I understand that if I ever want to expand the system (as it was designed to do) I would need to set it up properly with a "backbone".
Don't know how to attach a diagram so here is how I wired it:
12VDC goes into the (rear view) right side of FI501.
The other socket on the left rear side of FI501 is fitted with a N2K lead (supplied with the splitter box) this is a pigtail and goes to the splitter box.
Splitter box manual is here https://www.airmar.com/uploads/InstallG ... 494-02.pdf
I can't see why both outputs won't work concurrently but I have emailed Airmar to check.
There is no power going into the splitter box.
The NMEA 0183 output from the Splitter box (I only used the transmit wires) go to a
YakMUX 3 Port NMEA 0183 Multiplexer/Combiner
This also picks up data from a Navnet VX2 and supplies a Simrad IS15 Multi screen so I get Depth or SOG or Wind on a screen I can see from anywhere in the cabin.

Good to know it is okay to run both standards.

In regards to NMEA 2000, an established bus with proper power and termination is required. You might have items work without proper termination but when you need it the most is when it will stop communicating. The bus can be non-traditional like using termination pins or internal one of the FI-501.

Back