FCV585 sounder tranducer interfacing

A

Anonymous

I have a FCV585 sounder and I would like to hook it up with my existing transducer ,as it is quite a big job to replace the transducer

The transducer is a CA200B-8B

Here is my plan
Use a 10-Pin Sounder plug with bare wire ends and interface direct to the 2kw 200 kHz transducer
Set the properties in the sounder menu if needed to a generic 1kw 200 kHz , and run the sounder at a single 200 kHz frequency

I have searched internet forums and have read posts stating that the mb1100 diplexer is required

My question is do I need the diplexer to run a single frequency
And if the answer is yes , why I need it (what does it do?)

The reason I ask as the is a lot of miss-information on various forum site's with regards to this
Some dealers say yes , you must have the matching box as it matches impedance
Other say yes it can work, but maybe at reduced performance
Others say not don't try it as it could damage the sounder
But by far the majority is users reporting that you can successfully interface a non-diplex transducer to a newer sounder and run it singe frequency without a matching box

BTW On my previous boat I had a FCV582L hooked up direct to a 1kw 50b6 50 kHz and it worked excellent using a single frequency without using a MB1000 matching box

Alex,
The MB-1000/1100 is more of diplexer than an impendence matching device. In checking the CA200B-8B has close to the same impendence as a B-260. So "In theory" it shouldn't stress the 585's transmitter if connected directly. However we have zero test data on how well this combination performs.

Snips

Thanks for the clarification on the purpose of the matching box
I will give it a go

Have you got any information on how you went with wiring up the no diplexer transducer to the 10 pin furuno plug? did you find a increase in detail?
I am looking at doing the same except with a 50kHz transducer and running my 587 on LF for deep dropping

EurekaNZ,
Normally on the 10-pin plug the Blue and Black wires are the transducer. Will you see increased detail without using the MB-1100 is hard to say as we have done very little testing like that.

Snips

Ok thanks snips
Have you tested 2kw transducer on the 585/587 running through a mb1100?
Is it possible to run the matching box only using the 50kHz side, already have a tm260 and happy with that 200kHz for shallow water

EurekaNZ,
We have had a couple vessels try that combination with less than impressive results.

Snips

Any reports on any vessels running anything like that with a matching box?
If the performance is no better I might be better of with the 50b-9b and mounting that on a drop pole its a fair bit smaller than the ca50bl-12hr transducer
Regards Ben

Back