FCV 587 ground connection

A

Anonymous

Hello,

My boat has a fiberglass hull, even so, should I make the ground connection from my FCV 587?

if yes,

What is the best place to do it?

Regards,

RG

Mitrica,
You are probably OK without one and I would try it see. A way to see if you have a noice issue is setting the 587 for a deep range and turning the gain up until you have a good amount of back ground speckle on both frequencies. Then turn everything on and off to see if the speckle changes. Normally interference (if present) will appear as a diagonal pattern across the display.

Snips

Snips,

I did not detect anything wrong in the Fishfinder but what are surprised me is when I turn on the Fishfinder the GPS hour changes.

Might be because the cables of both devices are going through the same place?

Mitrica,
Plugging in FCV-587 shouldn't cause the hours/time to change on the GPS. Did you connect the NMEA wires to the GPS? Also make sure you have power to the 587 connected to the fused red and black leads.

Snips

Did you connect the NMEA wires to the GPS?

No, I didn´t

Mitirica,
Since the time on the GPS comes from satellites I don't see how connecting the 587 could affect it. You can correct the time display on the GPS by offsetting it for your local time zone, but again the 587 should have no connection with the GPS time display.

Snips

Snips,

My Garmin GPS was the following NMEA 0183 wires:

Blue - NMEA 0183 Port 1 Tx (out)
Brown - NMEA 0183 Port 1 Rx (in)
Gray -NMEA 0183 Port 2 Tx (out)
Violet - NMEA 0183 Port 2 Rx (in)

Where should I connect it on the cable assy. ?

Mitrica,
What is the model number of the Garmin GPS?

Snips

Mitrica,
Try this.

Snips

Attachments

• Wiring.JPG
    Wiring.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 2,702
Snips,

You mean:

Black - Power and NMEA 0183 = Blue / Green
Blue - NMEA 0183 Port 1 Tx (out) = Yellow