FCV-585 Broken LCD

Grizzo

Hi. I have had my FCV-585 for about 10 years. The LCD screen has quit and no longer shows a picture. Just a white screen. I am told it needs to be replaced which will cost around half the price I paid for the unit. The unit is fairly old but in that time I have generally not used it all that much at all. Maybe 6 fishing trips per year which is not very good value considering the price of the unit. I have a cheap $200 Lowrance sitting next to it which is double the age and the unit is still working fine.

I have decided to 'upgrade' to the 588 (which is basically the same unit as the 585 with the included 600w P66, unless you spend another $2000 on a transducer to use the upgraded features)

What causes the LCD screens to fail and what steps can I take to prolong the life of my new unit? Disconnect power when not in use? Protect from summer heat or direct sunlight? Don't wet screen when turned on? Any tips appreciated as I want this one to last.

Thanks.

There can be a million reasons why something goes bad. I wouldn't even begin to speculate. Using the sun cover when not in use helps extend unit life. Removing it from the boat during real cold storage period can be helpful because LCDs can freeze. Maybe you didn't take it out fishing enough and it decided to punish you. lol No idea. Having water on your screen isn't a problem except if you let salt water dry on it where it can damage the AR surface.

I'm not very impressed that such an expensive unit with very little normal fishing use breaks down, and then to replace the failed part is crazy expensive again.

Back