FCV-1150 & R299 AIRMAR

Septimus,
I am not sure if it will work with a Simrad input. But to try it you will need to input the ATT & HVE sentences into connector J-2 pins 5+ and 6-. Baud rate 38,400, 25ms and IECED1. Pages 17/18 of the FCV-1150 installation manual. Also you will need to go into the STABIZIATION menu to turn it on. Let me know if it works.

Snips

Hey Snips,

Finally got down to try and hook the FCV1150 into Simnet on the boat last weekend!
The FCV1150 now has GPS source BUT marking a WPT on the FCV1150 doesn't NOT result in a WPT showing up on the NSE/NSS-12's?
However, having re-read your post, I now realise that I have set the baud rate to 4800 and NOT 38400 as suggested and I need to confirm the other settings you've suggested before I give up and ask for help....LOL!!
Will let you know how I go this weekend.

Regards, Septimus.

Snips,

Great thread.... like other users i wish id dialled into this knowledge base before upgrading as every install tech has a different view on whats best. So far my new install hasnt lived up to expectation.

I recently upgraded (1) my 1100 to an 1150, (2) my 'ducer to an Airmar R399 (wet box mounted), (3) my plotter from NN VX2 to NN3D, and (4) have TZ Explorer with PBG on the way.

Just had my first run out wide with the new gear (after professional install) and it really misfired. While i could get a numerical depth read bootm left the entire time, i stuggled to get any useful bottom read below 200m - at 400m could only get the odd flicker of colour on the bottom lock and nothing on the RHS LF screen (blank). While nothing beats a wet mount, i woud have expected a better result given the horsepower (and given the HF was crystal clear at 25knts).

Couple of questions:
1. Is the Airmar R399 compatible with the 1150? I had another tech post install tell me it wasnt. (note the 1150 is networked with NN3D)
2. Obviously sounds like 'ducer issue? But only on LF but understand this is to be exoected. Transducer located just forward of prop shaft in manufacturers recomended location.
3. When driving the 1150 from the 3D unit, the display on the 3D was far better quality than what i was getting on 1150 at same time (feeds back into question 1?).
4. Worst case, if i had to wet face a 'ducer (last resort), could i do just an LF 'ducer and keep the HF Running off the wet box (the HF worked fine to 200m at speed)? If so, what would you recommend as the optimal LF 'ducer for the 1150 for use in 300-600m of water bottom fishing.
5. are there any considerations i need to be mindful of in networking in the TZ should i be forced to install another 'ducer.

Sorry was too annoyed to think about taking screen shots 30nm from home. Next time.

Many thanks in advance.

Rick

Rick,
Sorry to hear your woos. The Tap settings for the R399 are the same for the R-309. You probably have already done so but double check all wiring. Something you can do with the FCV-1150 is set both the LF and HF channels for the same frequency. If you do this be sure to set both channels on the "A" Tap and all the settings exactly the same. Set your front panel gains at 0. At the dock one channel should out performance the other i.e. 50Khz on a 50Khz ducer will out perform 50Khz going into a 200Khz. It is not uncommon to find the transducers swapped. Give this a check first and let me know.

Snips

Snips,

Many thanks for the reply. I will try the ducer switch and let you know. Out of interest you have no issue with the R399 and 1150 combo?

Cheers,
Rick

Rick,
Personally I would not use a wet box installation with any sounder.

Snips

Back