Fairing Mount 165t-b54 Transducer

jason808

Hi All,
I am in the process of installing a 165t-b54 transducer on my boat. Its a 21 foot walk around with a single yamaha f200 outboard.

The keel is slightly rounded, and i am planning to install the transducer and fairing block directly in front of the outboard centered on the keel. The back end of the fairing block will be about 6” from the transom.
I have already cut the fairing and it is a little over 1 3/4” high.

Are there any red flags that go off with regards to causing cavitation for the prop? I won’t be going more then 15-20 mph, and a majority of the time I will be trolling at 8knots.

8C352673-86B9-4183-B549-E4C6D5D7CE93.jpeg

7A7DA0F4-8116-4BA3-971D-B97ACB78058C.jpeg

Thanks!
Jason

Some other users might chime in while Deep Blue Sea is on vacation. Maybe C-bass will pop in with his thoughts. My first thought is it is a bad idea. That is going change the water flow moving into the engine prop at any speed. Normally on a boat this size, one would either go with a transom mount transducer (but is see some items on the SB side bottom that would be an issue for that) or cut and fiberglass it into the keel of the boat, flush. 6" to the stern might have be a bit far back on top of the problem created by a fairing in front of the engine. My first thought is "No don't do it" but who knows. Maybe you won't cause problems for the engine but this is why installers get the big bucks. I personally don't think it is a good plan.

jason808,

Looking at pictures of your boat and the trailer, going with a thru-hull transducer is going to be tough installation, because you'll have to deal with the trailer rollers and vessel's water inlets.

If the DFF3D is going to be used as your primary sounder, then my recommendation is switching over to the use of a 165T-TM54 Transom Mount Transducer, I'd move the Hummingbird Transducer over to the port side of the vessel's transom and then install the 165T-TM54 in the old location of that Hummingbird Transducer.

You should get decent water flow over the the transducer face of the 165T-TM54 with very little turbulence. But as always, check with your local Furuno Dealer for their recommendations.

- Deep Blue ;)

Thanks DeepBlue and JohnnyElectron.
Due to thru hulls and poor performance from the current transom mount transducer, I picked up the 165t-b54.
I have cut it down to a sliver over 1 3/4” and drilled the holes. Going to give it a shot on the keel several inches from the transom. My keel is slightly rounded. I had to tape sandpaper to the hull and sand the fairing against the hull so it would be flush. Worked like a charm:)
I will let you all know when I finish the install and send some screenshots and pictures. I seldom will be able to above 20mph, so hopefully will not introduce too much ventilation on the prop.
Over here, there are not any that I know of installers or furuno dealers that are focused on recreational guys. I have spoken with one of the local furuno dealers but he focused on ships and larger vessels. I have called one of shipyards and they had not pocket mounted transducers, and actually sent them one of the furuno videos on making the pocket mount. In that regard, I have to install everything myself which is pretty rewarding, since I know how everything works and can fix it in a pinch.

That also might be something to mention to others, how to get more certified furuno techs or a storefront in Hawaii to checkout the equipment. :D

Back