FA50 Upload Issue

ALNelson

Following the directions very closely to update the firmware in our FA50 due to the rollover issue. Network is correctly configured, IP of both the PC and FA50 are correct, and I can ping the FA50 from the PC. All that said, the install batch program hangs on the display of “>>my IPaddress=172.31.1.1” and proceeds no further. I’ve tried a dozen variations of running the .BAT with the power of the FA50 off (it waits for the IP address so the .EXE seems to be working), to with it on, to running the .BAT in administrator mode. This is on a PC with latest Windows. Could it be a firewall issue? Please advise, and thanks as our AIS xmit is inop.

I'm sorry you are having issues with the software update to the FA50.

What we've found with this update is that for sure modern Windows anti-virus software do not like the FA50s or that batch files from Furuno Electric Co., make sure for this procedure you disable all firewalls before proceeding (or use a PC with an older operating system?). Otherwise, have you tried contacting Furuno technical support yet?

Let us know, :sail

- Maggy

I tried it again yesterday with an older Microsoft Surface, which was also running Windows 10 but an older version. All virus software and firewalls were disabled. This time, if I ran the batch file right after a reboot of the PC it at least got to the line where it said it was connected to the FA50's IP address, but after that it just hung with no progress. I will reach out to tech support, but I can't imagine I'm the only person on the planet with the problem.

FWIW,

We've seen Firewalls, Anti-virus, Proxy Servers, and other things trip it up. Furuno technical support is not I.T. Support, Furuno depends on users (intending to perform the update themselves) to understand how their PC is setup, and we provide the files and instructions.

If you tried the procedure and it didn't work, it's time to take it to a Furuno dealer or send it in to the Camas, WA service repair center for an evaluation and software update at the next available opportunity.

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Thanks Maggy. At the hourly rate of local service I'll keep hammering away at it for a bit. When I get it working I'll post the solution here.

You can always call into Furuno technical support for ideas. Of course, we'll also update it for you as well if you send it into the Camas Wa service repair center.

- Maggy

Capmatt2022":vsjlg1uc said:
@ALNelson, did you find any solution? I am stuck at exactly the same spot.

We're almost 7 months into it, at one point I thought you needed to clear the memory if the FA50 had a red error lamp upon boot. However, no it's mostly all bloatware in the PC preventing the batch file from running.

It is recommended to turn it all off, all of it, set the PC ip to 172.31.1.1 or 172.31.3.150 with a subnetmask of 255.255.0.0 and run the .bat

- Maggy

Solution: disconnect tzt2, auto pilot, siriusxm, dff1 from hub (just leave ais and pc). Upload was successful. No need to change windows settings.

Capmatt2022":15dpq6j8 said:
Solution: disconnect tzt2, auto pilot, siriusxm, dff1 from hub (just leave ais and pc). Upload was successful. No need to change windows settings.

Good insight, indeed sometimes other devices that are turned on (or off even!) on the same hub can obfuscate the FA50's ability to listen for the PC update to run.

Excellent job, :sail

- Maggy

No joy as of yet. I actually found a buddy at the local sail loft who has a Windows XP-era laptop that still works (!!) and we tried the update with it. Seemed to get further along but still didn’t install. I did note that it reflected an IP address for the FA50 that was not the 172.x.x.3 listed in the service manual. Next time on the boat I’m going to check and ensure the FA50 has the correct IP address. I’ll update here when I’ve done so.

Back