FA50 no transmission blank sensor status screen

Have a fa50 new to me hooked to a gpa017 and vhf antenna looks like it’s receiving but no tx I get a flashing orange light I checked the sensor status on the mfd and it just comes up blank

Okay - Good Job for updating! Goes without saying that if you're not moving past 3kts, the transmission rate is slower than when you're moving. And Class B transmissions have a lower priority over Class A, so if you're in a high traffic area (NYC Harbor) it may not transmit for a bit. However you should see your position in less than an hour on Marine Traffic (given that you are somewhere near a repeater station).

If it's not any of that --- the next step is, "Has a MMSI been programmed into the 'new to me' FA50 yet?" If not, you'll need to register a MMSI for your vessel and have a dealer program the FA50 with it. If you've already done all of that -- the next step is to check if it's a newer unit with a Purple/Grey wire in the power cable assy., make sure the previous owner didn't wrap those two wires together -- if so "Silent Mode" could be activated (e.g. Rx Only). Separate out the wires and check again. If the wires look separated and not touching, call tech support or contact a local dealer about turning off silent mode in the menu settings (This is assuming your unit has a purple/grey wire in the power cable assy. and you put in a valid MMSI).

- Maggy

Now I got nothing I saw the blue light flash once or twice that’s it no tx or rx but everything checks out ok on the sensor tests

Greetings Vawaterman,

Well it kinda sounds like it's either missing a MMSI, it's in silent mode (check to see if you have GRY and PPL wires in your cable assy.), the software update needs to performed again, or it's an issue with the radio or it's GPS receiver. If you suspect the unit is faulty, you're more than welcome to send it in to Furuno USA's Camas, Washington Service Repair center for a service evaluation. They can quickly determine the condition of the unit and assess what next steps are needed to getting it back operational.

- Maggy

Greetings Vawaterman,

Well it kinda sounds like it's either missing a MMSI, it's in silent mode (check to see if you have GRY and PPL wires in your cable assy.), the software update needs to performed again, or it's an issue with the radio or it's GPS receiver. If you suspect the unit is faulty, you're more than welcome to send it in to Furuno USA's Camas, Washington Service Repair center for a service evaluation. They can quickly determine the condition of the unit and assess what next steps are needed to getting it back operational.

- Maggy
So on the display it says silent mode use hardware switch , I checked the wire I see no gray or purple

Back