FA-50 VHF Antenna Placement

wsp2

I've got a question about the FA-50 VHS antenna placement.

I recently had a problem where the coax going to the VHS antenna went bad so ended up replacing the cord. The antenna itself though is probably in a really bad position to begin with though. it's located under the helm with all the other electronics and is installed horizontally - almost like it's laying down. Not sure why this was done considering the coax cable was 10m long and I was able to replace it with a patch cord <1 m long.

The owner's manual indicates it should be 10 m away from other antennas or separated vertically by 2.8 m. Don't think I'll be able to achieve either of these. I'm thinking about having a horizontal separation of about 4m with little vertical separation unfortunately. I figure this will at least be better than it's current location.

Question is - does the interference caused by this mainly affect the VHF radio, the AIS signal, or both?

Thanks!

Because AIS transmits within the range of VHF frequencies they could interfere with each other. If you are encountering interference you could consider a mast extension for one of the antennas to gain some vertical separation.

Back