Extending TZT19F harness

Bayhouse

Furuno Super Fan
Planning the install of a pair of the TZT19F displays at the helm in my flybridge.  The electronics install in a retracting helm pod and there is little/no access behind them without going through a lot of gymnastics.  The wiring passes through a chase in the bottom of the pod and with the pod up, I have access underneath.  I'd like to future proof the install and extend the harness through the chase so I can more easily access any of the available options.  Has anyone done this and/or what should I be aware of?

If going beyond 15 feet for USB an amplifier (like powered USB hub) should be used. Ethernet is easy enough but shielded cable with metal RJ45s should be used. The NMEA 0183 output wiring can drive pretty long distance so taking that out to a junction box someplace should be a problem.

Thanks Johnny, that's what I was thinking but I hope I never need another 0183 connection again :mrgreen:

I was thinking the same for the A/V (RCA and HDMI) cables, short runs of maybe 10' to a more accessible location under the helm (and well labeled) for future connections where necessary. I don't like to have a lot of in-line connections but if I have problems down the road I can just bite the bullet and pull some things apart.

2x 19" display units in a flybridge is quite impressive, is there any reason why you wouldn't go with a TZT2BB and two 19.5" touch displays instead? It would seem that would be a less complicated cabling task IMHO.

Just curious, :sail

- Maggy

Magnetron":1sxtl2l2 said:
2x 19" display units in a flybridge is quite impressive, is there any reason why you wouldn't go with a TZT2BB and two 19.5" touch displays instead? It would seem that would be a less complicated cabling task IMHO.

Just curious, :sail

- Maggy

Maggy,

When I was pricing everything out for my systems, the cost of the touch displays along with the TZT2BB was greater than that of 2 19" systems. Plus having 2 TZT3 displays created redundancy that you would not get with the TZT2BB in the event of a processor failure. :think

Bobby

gtstang462002":2y8sft44 said:
When I was pricing everything out for my systems, the cost of the touch displays along with the TZT2BB was greater than that of 2 19" systems. Plus having 2 TZT3 displays created redundancy that you would not get with the TZT2BB in the event of a processor failure. :think

Bobby

As soon as I posted I also did some comparative research and agree. Compared with a pair of MU195Ts the Ingress Protection is nearly the same, resolution, and brightness is actually better on the TZT19F. :cool

Thanks for responding, I appreciate it. :sail

- Maggy

Magnetron":hvayl1i4 said:
gtstang462002":hvayl1i4 said:

Bobby

As soon as I posted I also did some comparative research and agree. Compared with a pair of MU195Ts the Ingress Protection is nearly the same, resolution, and brightness is actually better on the TZT19F. :cool

Thanks for responding, I appreciate it. :sail

- Maggy

You did have me sweating bullets there for a minute thinking I made a mistake, but now recall that when I priced the options, two TZT3 was better overall solution.

Curious, why is there no TZT3BB yet?

Back