DRS4W to GP1971f Connection issue

Oldboater

Hi,
when I got my boat it had a recently installed DRS4W radome talking to an Ipad. I wanted to be able to overlay the radar on a chart so I bought a new GP1971F chartplotter. I can see the boat heading on the chartplotter, but when I try to connect to the DRS4W it intially connects, but I cannot activate transmit and after about 10 to 15 seconds I get a 'Connection Lost' message.

If I put the radar into transmit mode using the Ipad, when I connect to the DRS4W from the GP1971F I can see the radar sweep, but again after 10 to 15 seconds I get the 'Connection Lost' message.

I have tried connecting with the Ipad turned off and get the same connection lost message.

Any suggestions

oldboater,

How far away is the GP1971F from the DRS4W..? The issue could be that the GP1971F may be located too far away from the DRS4W to make a good solid Wifi connection. :think

The recommendation for a good Wifi connectivity with the DRS4W is usually around 30ft.

- Deep Blue

Hi, its less than 20 feet away. An Ipad gets a perfect signal leaned up against the GP1971F or behind it and the bulkhead it is mounted on. In fact I get a good signal on an Ipad anywhere on the boat. I even tried it under the boat between the hulls (I was in my dinghy, not scuba diving!)! It just doesn't seem to want to talk to the GP1971F.... or the GP1971F doesn't want to listen.

Johnny,
the ground was connected - I thought I had connected it but I thought I'd double check. Still faulty so I followed the DRS4W software update programme and it is now fixed.

Now working as I had envisaged.

Back