DRS4W first impressions

richardp

Just installed a DRS4W wifi radar. Here are my first impressions.

1. The included power cable is almost as thick and stiff as the multiwire cable in my 30 year old radar that I am replacing. So no convenience there, which is the main selling point of the radar. The radar only uses 2 amps so I can't imagine why they supply this thick stiff cable. It is heavily shielded but in a normal mast there are only dc wires see no shielding is needed.
2. The power cable connects outside the radome. The connector, exposed to the elements, will surely corrode in time, regardless how many layers of tape you apply over it. Bad design.
3. The supplied power cable uses untinned copper wire. They should have use a proper marine grade wire. This wire will eventually corrode internally after the 2 year warrantee period is over.
4. The warning beep, which sounds if a vessel comes into the selected segment, is too low to be heard over a diesel engine. The app should be written to use the loud sounds that an pad is capable of.
5. I called tech support with several questions. The 2 techs I spoke with were not knowledgeable or helpful. Even slightly rude. They should have referred me to a more knowledgable person.

I like the ability of using an pad rather than a stand alone display. I have yet to use the radar at sea and these are just my first impressions.

Your post was moved the suggestions area because much of your post is suggestions about how you would prefer the product to be, versus how it is currently designed.

1. The included power cable is almost as thick and stiff as the multiwire cable in my 30 year old radar that I am replacing. So no convenience there, which is the main selling point of the radar. The radar only uses 2 amps so I can't imagine why they supply this thick stiff cable. It is heavily shielded but in a normal mast there are only dc wires see no shielding is needed.

DC power doesn't like to run long distances. The longer the run, the larger the gauge and quality wire that is required plus the shielding required to prevent noise getting in and out. Cable that is going to be outdoors needs to be even more protected. The cable can be shortened to the nearest suitable power source. This is how it was designed and sold. You comment will be passed to product development for consideration.

2. The power cable connects outside the radome. The connector, exposed to the elements, will surely corrode in time, regardless how many layers of tape you apply over it. Bad design.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. People do their own research and make their buying decisions. As a company moderated site, we will accept constructive input and suggestions. This site is not for product reviews or axe grinding. Since release of this product, we have not found any problems with that pigtail connection as long as installed as directed. This type of pigtail connection is used on most of the newer radars all the way up to the 25kw without problems so far.

3. The supplied power cable uses untinned copper wire. They should have use a proper marine grade wire. This wire will eventually corrode internally after the 2 year warrantee period is over.

The cabling is designed for the marine environment and meets stated/published specifications. A few minutes ago someone was claiming it was too big and protected for the power which it uses. I encourage you to contact our product development department with any supported facts about the life of this cable. Our experience hasn't shown what you are claiming.

4. The warning beep, which sounds if a vessel comes into the selected segment, is too low to be heard over a diesel engine. The app should be written to use the loud sounds that an pad is capable of.

Larger vessels with lots of noise normally select one of our more full featured units. This low cost solution has it's limits based on the connected items. If you have your volume up all the way up and you know that it can go louder; then it sounds like a good suggestion to me. I will pass that suggestion to product development.

5. I called tech support with several questions. The 2 techs I spoke with were not knowledgeable or helpful. Even slightly rude. They should have referred me to a more knowledgable person.
I apologize for the experience you had. This site isn't the best place to get feedback to technical support supervision. I am sorry to hear you didn't receive good service. I will pass your comments to the service manager. If you find this the next time, I recommend you ask to speak with the service manager.

Back