DRS4D-NXT Vs. DRS2D-NXT

calla969

Looking to add a radar to my boat. Will be installed with the current TZT3-12, SCX-20, and Navpilot 300. Will be used primarily for monitoring weather, but spotting birds would be great as well. I know domes aren't very good at spotting birds, but even a couple miles would be helpful. My eyes aren't what they used to be.

The DRS2D-NXT and the DRS4D-NXT appear to be identical except for the antenna size. My space is pretty limited and it would certainly be easier to install the smaller unit, but if there's a significant difference, I can make the 24" work. Can anyone enlighten me on real world differences? For both units, how are they at monitoring storms? I'm in a 25' center console, so I'd just like to know if I can avoid storms or where to go to minimize my exposure.

Basically the bigger the radar dome/antenna the more detailed the picture, all other things being equal. A bigger antenna array has a finer pattern as it sweeps; more elements working together gives it a tighter pattern. On the screen, that means more targets are less blob like and land is more finely sculpted. Sorta like going from using a fat tipped magnum sharpie marker (minimalist antenna) to a fine tip skinny marker (big open array). That sort of detail is not important to some people. For others, they are glad to have it.

Back