DRS2D-NXT cabling

madmike

Ahoy. We're getting ready to install a DRS2D-NXT radar. It looks like we can't get the radar delivered (backordered everywhere) before the boat goes into the yard where we plan to have the mast pulled out to do the wiring.

I checked the interconnection diagram in the installation manual and have a couple of questions:

1. In place of "HUB" can I use my own Ethernet switch? I currently have the TZT9F and Victron Cerbo GX communicating over Ethernet using the TZT9F's 172.31.X.X IP addresses. I assume the DRS2D-NXT will join this network. Both devices also have wifi connections to the boat's 192.168.1.X network for Internet access.

2. The top half of the diagram shows a cable part number of FRU-2P5S-FF-10M. Is that the same cable as "Furuno DRS AX NXT Signal Power Cable - 10M" FUR-001-512-600-00 which I can find at online retailers?

3. The bottom half of the diagram seems to show that I can remove the 1m cable that comes with the radar and use separate cables for Ethernet and DC power connected inside the radome. Is that right? Instead of MOD-ASM0001 which seems to be a combined cable, can I use a standard Cat 5 Ethernet cable and a 2-conductor DC power cable?

4. The bottom half of the diagram shows the ethernet cable connected directly to the TZT9F. Is there any reason this wiring can't be used with a hub or switch for the LAN?

Thanks!
Mike

1) Normally we don't recommend mixing boat networks with the NavNet network. Everything on the Furuno Ethernet should be working on the 172 address structure. It is okay that the displays connect to wifi to access the internet that is normal. For a hub a simple low cost Netgear or TPlink is normally used but most brand hub/switches work as long as you power them and it isn't a router.

2) What diagram or you referring? Do you have a link?

3) It is important that whatever cable is used in place of the radar pigtail cable seals up properly in the cable gland. It wasn't uncommon for those with older NN3D DRS radars that used a two part power/data cable to pull out the pigtail and go directly into the dome for retrofitting and re-use of already ran cable. Yes, it is possible to run your own as long as the correct power/amp requirements are met along with networking cable that properly seals up via the cable gland.

4) Networking allows it to directly connect to single MFD device or via a HUB with multiple MFDs. It is most common for the radar to go to a hub so any MFD turned on has access to the radar.

Thanks, Johnny. Your point about properly sealing the cable entry to the dome is key.

Here's the diagram I was referring to from the installation manual

Attachments

• DRS2NXT connections.png
    DRS2NXT connections.png
    297.9 KB · Views: 261
3) To the original question, MOD-ASM0001 (dome pigtail) is shown in the drawing with the connector cut off and wired direct to power. Yes it is a single cable harness with both network and power running thru it. It is possible to modify it as shown or to remove the pigtail entirely to use the older type DRS scanner cables like that of the two part cable. You can get one, two and three hole packing glands depending what is needed for your install plans.

OK. I purchased the FRU-2P5S-FF-10M ten meter cable. The diagram shows red and blue wires for the DC power supply and the RJ45 networking cable. The cable I received also has a black wire. Where's the black wire supposed to go? Is it the cable shield?

Back