DRS4D NXT Ice Detection

hcelio

Has anyone ever used a DRS4D NXT to navigate icy waters? I am trying to ascertain how ice would appear for this radar. I have seen many examples of the much larger 25kw models but none for one this unit.

I would be very interested to see this as well. I think the problem is going to be the wider horizontal beam angle. To see narrow passages through ice, or smaller pieces of ice, you will want the narrower beam angle provided by the open arrays. I'll reach out to a few people and see if anyone has some insight.
This is the only product I am familiar with for this application. https://furunousa.com/en/products/fice100 Bit of a different market.

@FishTech I have found a couple ice specific processors that are designed to pair with a larger x-band radar. However the largest unit my vessel can accommodate is the DRS4D (or something similar like the 1835) and I have been on the hunt to figure out if any hobbyists have encountered ice with theirs and what it looked like. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Back