DRS4D-NXT cable installation?

DDrew

I'm in the process of installing a new TZT3 and DRS4D-NXT. The supplied radar cable is large/stiff and will be difficult if not impossible to run through my T-top tubing. Separate ethernet and power runs would be more flexible and easier to route. Is this an option? I'm sure I could find separate shielded ethernet and shielded power cable (if pwr needs to be shielded). I'd skip the external pigtail connector and bring the pwr and ethernet lines directly into the dome with appropriate sealing and strain relief.

The fasteners on the dome are profoundly frustrating if they don't line up / fall into place. I would not recommend casually opening the dome.

Really the cable that comes with the DRS4D-NXT is very thin compared to most radars. Perhaps installing a pull string and using lots of wire lube will help you run the cable. Harbor freight has fiberglass rods which are helpful for running wires or pull strings in such places.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. My t-top wasn't setup to have cables run through it but I managed to get the previous radar cable through with a great deal of difficulty. That cable was a little smaller than this new one. The issue is really bend radius more than diameter. Two smaller cables should bend easier than 1 big one. I have a string run through already and have cable lube as well. I'll take a closer look at the DRS4D twin cable. Does anyone know if shielding is necessary on the power lines? The only cables in this section of t-top tubing would be the radar ethernet and power. I could even add braided overall shielding for the 2ft run from the dome to the t-top tubing if that would help.

If you are considering spitting the pair of the older DRS4D, it can be done. If you really plan to power the radar with a short power run then you might consider just making your own scanner cable. You can run the power as you say but shielding is always recommended because RF can get into DC lines, then build a nice shielded Ethernet cable (Cat5e or better) with metal RJ45s to run the data from the DRS4D-NXT to the hub/MFD. This gives you a lot of control on the cable you are selecting to run. Ideally you want something that holds up to weather conditions and doesn't dry rot on you.

That's perfect! I'm well versed in cable fab for military applications and will have no problem building shielded and weather sealed cables. I believe this will make routing "reasonable" in my application. Thank you!

Back