DRS25A-NXT Installation "ish"

Kicksave

I replaced my smashed DRS4DNXT with the DRS25A and when the time came to energize the radar and start installation on the network my TZ3's 16 and 12 did not see the new radar unit, as they were both looking for the prior 4dnxt. The rj45 was plugged into the FI5002 and there was no light next to the plug and I am assuming no information. There was power on both sides of the cable. Is there a way to test to see if my connection at the array is faulty without having to replace the Signal/Power Cable?
I thought I had everything buttoned up all nice-e-nice. But No! (note to self, bench test or pre-test before doing full installation)
I am back at the boat later this week and will do a full software upgrade as I ran out of time this weekend.
Any insight would be most appreciated.

Last edited:
The DRS25A-NXT requires a 24V power supply. So does the magnetron DRS25A if that's what you have. Your description is somewhat puzzling because you did not mention an ethernet connection from the radar to the TZT3 displays. With no ethernet connection, the MFDs would not see the radar, which probably wouldn't have worked anyway without a 24V supply. The FI5002 is a NMEA 2000 junction box, not an ethernet hub. I am not sure what you are connecting to it. Also I believe you need to use the cable assembly that came with the DRS25A-NXT, which would have heavier gauge power supply wires.

You are correct, I did omit the fact that I am running the radar on a switch which is a 24 volt circuits along with both my TZ3's, DFF3-UHD and Network Hub101 (sorry again) All 24 Volts

Do you hear the cooling fan in the pedestal running? The DRS25A-NXT makes a fair amount of noise in standby. If you confirm from the sound. that the pedestal is powered up, assuming you have access, you could temporarily run a long ethernet cable straight from the connector at the radar pedestal to one of the ethernet ports on the TZT 3 16. It's been years since I had to deal with a Hub 101, however, I recall that in the old days of NN3D, you had to use crossover ethernet cables with it.

I did not hear the pedestal fan. I am going to check all connections at the unit Friday when I get back to boat. Such a googan move to button it all up and assume it was good... (f'king idiot)

Welp.... Just to follow up
Everything I had done with the installation of the replacement radar was correct the first time, with exception of assuming the prior work was correct. I have both 12 and 24 volts on my boat. The prior boat owner had his radar power cable labeled 24 volts as well as "radar" on the 24 volt panel. My last radar (drs4d nxt) worked fine as I had used that prior power wiring. After hours of trouble shooting I decided to test the power wire back to the panel. As the TZ3's still didn't see the radar.
Turns out the power wire was on a 24 hour vhf 12 volt circuit, not even switched. Are you F'ing kidding me! WTF!
Moved the radar power wires to the 24 volt panel and restarted all the systems. Viola! Houston we have radar! I can finally leave the dock at night or return with no visibility.
Lots of lessons learned here.

Yet I am still left with some questions about 12 volt and 24 volt systems. I'll post those up on another thread.

Attachments

• IMG_0459.jpeg
    IMG_0459.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Back