DRS12AX Radar Noise

CQuestII

Furuno Fan
I have a DRS12AX with 6' array and have a very loud squeak coming from the unit. I contacted Furuno Tech support and sent in a video but I was told that this is normal. It is substantially louder then any other furuno radar I have ever heard and definitely does not sound normal.

I can send anyone the video I think it is too large to post here but will try. It sounds like a bad or dry bearing.

Did the installer seal the array properly? I have seen cases where they don't have the array sealed and water gets inside and starts causes problems. Arrays turning will make some sound as the motor runs with the gear noise driving the rotator and array. This is more so with the variable speed units running at a close range setting (spinning twice the normal speed) Normally if there is a problem you would see a problem reflected with the radar display. If your radar is working well and it is just the sound, I would conduct a good inspection of the install. The array bolts should be covered with the white sealant and you should see sealant pushed out all alongside where the array meets the gearbox. If you find something not right or still concerned about the sound, I would contact your installing dealer.

Everything looks good inside of the case and out very clean and no water intrusion. Is there a bearing in the case where the array mounts?

Thanks Tom

No. I guess I need to send back to Furuno. It definitely sounds like a bad bearing or one that needs grease. It is embarrassing when my twin diesel engines are not running. Very disappointed in this radar as opposed to the others I have owned in the past. The stainless bolts must be lower quality since they rust and I have to polish them to remove surface rust every couple months.

Yes, I have heard many units and this one is normal. The problem is the top is resonating and amplifying the sound. It is much like a vibrating cell phone on a flat table where the table greatly increases the sound or talking down a tube. The top would need to be stiffened and some materials used to change the dynamics. A brand new scanner would do the same as what you have now. The only other thing that you could do is fix the rotational speed to 24 rpm. Slowing it down would reduce the sound. This can be done under the radar menu. Slowing it down will reduce the sampling when at close ranges somewhat.

I am sorry but this is not normal. I have owned this boat for over 11 years and when I first installed the unit it was emitting the normal hum but no squeak. It is a bearing that needs to be replaced. I had a older Furuno 25kw unit same size 6' antenna and it never made this squeaking sound.

I have installed another same as mine on a friends boat and his is still new and is quiet other then normal hum.

I agree that this sound is certainly not anything I have heard in 20 years of owning Furuno open array radars. You could relatively easily test Johnny's explanation by undoing the mounting bolts and setting the pedestal on a rubber mat to decouple it from the hardtop. You will have to unbolt it anyway to send it back to Furuno for inspection so perhaps that is a step to consider.

If it turns out that he is right about the resonance, you should be able to fix it pretty easily with some isolation. I had a resonance issue with my generator transmitting sound up into the cabin through the keel and stringers. New isolating mounts completely solved the problem.

I have the same unit with a 4’ array and mine is worse I’ve reviewed the video mine is a very loud screeching sound I contacted FURUNO when it was installed and also was told it was normal. Agreed it’s embarrassing when around other boats to the point that I don’t use it as much as I should. It’s mounted on the hardtop of a Sea Ray 50’ sedan bridge and it sounds like it’s inside the boat. This is supposed to be the best radar on the market this is NOT normal I’ve never heard any brand make noises like this.

Can you post a video of the sound at 24rpm at long range? I note from the video that the antenna isn't sealed well. By the instructions the array bolts should be fully covered. I can't tell underneath but it it should have sealant pushed out 360 degrees around the mount where the antenna meets the gearbox. If water is getting in there, it could account for it getting louder than you remember.

I custom made the base under the unit since I did not like the way it looked just hitting in the 4 corners. I also needed it to clear the crossed aluminum bars to get the best results. The unit is sitting on 1/8" thick neoprene pads under the 4 bolts that hold it down. Like I said the unit did not make the squeaking sound unit after about 150 hours of use or 1 year.

I did slow the unit down to 24RPMS as Johnny suggested and the sound is not very loud but the radar also does not work as well in close ranges finding birds.

The radar wasn't installed properly. Sealant should be squished out all around where the antenna meets the gearbox and those bolts should be completely covered in sealant. Water intrusion isn't covered by any warranty and this one is only going to get worse. It sounds like water has already gotten to the bearings. I recommend this be serviced and properly sealed before the problem gets much much worse.
WaterIntrusion.JPG
WaterIntrusion2.JPG

Johnny, I’ll check for the sealant I’m pretty sure the steps where followed but will service the unit and reseal
I’ll snap, pics either way maybe it will help others. Thanks

Yeah those bolts have nothing covering them. I can see that from your video. If there is sealant on the gearbox and array, it isn't near enough. It should be squished out with a bead all around that area. Sorry to be the bring the bad news but I can almost hear the rust on those bearings in the video.

Back